Miami Cannon

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
This post is a continuation of a thread below regarding a Bahama shipwreck. Chagy-you are correct. My father, for a number of years in the early 60's, worked for and contracted with Weston Hempstead-he did boat repair and caulking-not salvage. I vaguely recall WH having spent many Saturdays at his boatyard and climbing around and over those cannon. was surprised to learn from you that WH was involved in dredging, especially at the Jupiter Inlet. These cannon could not have come from Jupiter, I believe they were dated to the 1700's. I need to check Miami Herald microfishe for the article about them and their being sold to a NY restaurant.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes they were involved in the dredging of the Jupiter inlet. And like I mentioned before at one point WH was known as the Cannon king of the Miami River. It seems he was always in the right place....I may be confused and maybe my dear friend Tom Gidus may correct e but I believe those bronze cannons came from the 1618 "San Martin" The Hempstead family are still in business and the Miami River location is still is there. I have fallow this family for a long time, as a researcher I always think out side the box and follow up on any single lead. They were involved in dredging and tow boats. today there is a tow boat company in Vero beach owned by a WH not sure if its his son......send me a PM and maybe we can find out more on the topic....

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
weston hempstead

weston hempstead journal.jpg

It would be interesting to find a copy of this journal.

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions