Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's only a few ways to calculate position. GPS uses triangulation, this claims to use bearing and distance from a floating 'base station', and it can use an acoustic signal for a distance, but it has to use something for a bearing. Do you know what that is? My guess is magnetic, suitable for short local distances.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pinger is omni-directional. Once a path is recognized as a return ping, the bearing and distance are calculated according to the northline established by the GPS... no compass magnetics involved, I would assume. Ping return speed would determine the distance the base station is from the rover. Enhanced WWII sonar principal.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
$1,700 for the wrist unit and the gateway. No thanks, my $30 compass works just as well.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pretty cool device.

I just put my Magellan Waas enabled GPS in a clear, waterproof Otter case and float it on the surface above me. When I find something interesting, I pull the GPS uderwater and record the coordinates on a dive slate. Certain GPS units will retain their last coordinates after they lose their satelite signal.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be nice to precisely GPS map U/W sites with 0.05 foot accuracy.

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I am a little skeptical of the claims.
I can see its set up with a GPS gateway, with a pinger system. I just cant see it being that accurate with only a single pinger, that should only give you distance....

I would also be curious on the noise level, is the ranging constant? That could be very annoying....

As for the GPS unit, the otter case is an interesting idea, just set it to track,

but pulling a line down or dragging a line, with something bobbing on the surface?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions