Grounded shipwreck in the Florida Keys

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I will attempt to post a photo of a nineteenth century spike-in-wood, found by my father's second-cousins family. They dove off Boca Raton in late 1950-early 60's and they explored the keys for old bottles and such. When I visited them, saw the cannon they recovered at Boca, which including a small deck signal cannon, that is when I was given the spike. I have heard of a schooner that grounded on Elliot Key and spikes were found on land. Also, I have heard of spikes being found in the bluffs at Delray Beach. Yet, my question is, does anyone have knowledge about any 19th century ships that washed up on land in the Florida Keys, where such spikes could be found. Notably, I used to visit the old cistern site in the upper keys, however, found no evidence spikes in that area-just late 1800-s broken bottles. Yet, I'm not saying it did not come from that area because this item was found in 1964. Yet the wood seems to well preserved not to have been found underwater. I haven't ruled out Indian Key either, that being an old settlement attacked and burned by Seminoles. spike-1.jpg

OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting analogy.... Does anyone know if Flagler used bronze spikess on the overseas railroad? It would make sense due to salt air exposure. However, the spike is narrower than the typical RR spikes from then and now.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It is not a railroad spike.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It would be very likely that there are boat parts all over the Keys, on land. They are all so low, and most slope right up with hard bottom, that any ships parts would be pitched on land during a hurricane. Especially if attached to wood, which of course floats. I find modern boat parts on land all the time after storms..

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wasn't there some key where a hermit in the 40's found a hurricane grounded, mostly intact galleon that had just been sitting there for a few hundred years, with a significant amount of treasure still on board?

Hurricanes cause 'weird stuff' as far as maritime artifacts and land goes...

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't heard this story. One would think it would have been a legend by now if true.

I have heard this about Padre Island, but would observe the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions