Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    May 2012
    Florida
    Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
    168 times
    Water Hunting; Beachcombing; Relic Hunting; Shipwrecks

Grounded shipwreck in the Florida Keys

I will attempt to post a photo of a nineteenth century spike-in-wood, found by my father's second-cousins family. They dove off Boca Raton in late 1950-early 60's and they explored the keys for old bottles and such. When I visited them, saw the cannon they recovered at Boca, which including a small deck signal cannon, that is when I was given the spike. I have heard of a schooner that grounded on Elliot Key and spikes were found on land. Also, I have heard of spikes being found in the bluffs at Delray Beach. Yet, my question is, does anyone have knowledge about any 19th century ships that washed up on land in the Florida Keys, where such spikes could be found. Notably, I used to visit the old cistern site in the upper keys, however, found no evidence spikes in that area-just late 1800-s broken bottles. Yet, I'm not saying it did not come from that area because this item was found in 1964. Yet the wood seems to well preserved not to have been found underwater. I haven't ruled out Indian Key either, that being an old settlement attacked and burned by Seminoles.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spike-1.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	646952

Jul 2006
    did you consider that it may be a railroad spike?

us
    May 2012
    Florida
    Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
    168 times
    Water Hunting; Beachcombing; Relic Hunting; Shipwrecks
    Interesting analogy.... Does anyone know if Flagler used bronze spikess on the overseas railroad? It would make sense due to salt air exposure. However, the spike is narrower than the typical RR spikes from then and now.

us
    discovering & preserving our past for future generations

Dec 2004
    Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
    72 times
    Shipwrecks
    It is not a railroad spike.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    581 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by mad4wrecks View Post
    It is not a railroad spike.
    I see my share of them, and tend to agree.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    ARRG

Feb 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword.
    75 times
    Shipwrecks
    It would be very likely that there are boat parts all over the Keys, on land. They are all so low, and most slope right up with hard bottom, that any ships parts would be pitched on land during a hurricane. Especially if attached to wood, which of course floats. I find modern boat parts on land all the time after storms..

LM
    do
    I like finding stuff

Dec 2007
    Chicago
    Charts and Maps.
    111 times
    Shipwrecks
    Wasn't there some key where a hermit in the 40's found a hurricane grounded, mostly intact galleon that had just been sitting there for a few hundred years, with a significant amount of treasure still on board?

Hurricanes cause 'weird stuff' as far as maritime artifacts and land goes...
    "There comes a time in every rightly-constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure..." - Twain

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    581 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Haven't heard this story. One would think it would have been a legend by now if true.

I have heard this about Padre Island, but would observe the same.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors