Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trinidad Spanish galleon off Oceanside California

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds')
    Minelab Explorer
    1749 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    ahh, the SS Pacific; perhaps the best target on this coast short of a Manila galleon.

Dec 2007
    Culdesac, Idaho
    61 times
    Now there is a ship worthy of searching for.

Built in New York in 1850, owned by Goodall, Nelson & Perkins Steamship Co., in San Francisco. Registered at 876 tons. And sunk approximate 40 miles southwest of Cape Flattery after colliding with the "Orpheus" on November 6, 1875 while enroute from Victoria, B.C. to San Francisco. At the time she carried around $100,000 in treasure belonging to several of the passengers. As well as a strongbox containing another $79,200 in cash which belonged to Wells Fargo.

The cash probably didn't survive. But who knows how much that treasure might be worth today.

Aug 2012
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hello there, I'm new to this website;however, I'm very familiar with the story of the "Trinidad." While growing up in Oceanside, I had several older gentlemen tell me the story about the Trinidad. It was said, the Captain and his wife are bury in the vicinity of Pilgrim Creek just behind where Pilgrim Creek Mobile homes are now. I've been back there, there are pictographs and morteros where some rocks are, there was also an area of about 10x10 chain link fenced off. Also, the top was covered with chain link fence.
    I was told and have researched the Trinidad went down approximate 3 miles out from where Buccaneer Beach is. After the El Nino storms winter 1978-1979; there was a cannon that was found. Sorry I don't recall to much more.
    Here's a link to an LA Times article The Treasure Trove of the Trinidad : New Attempt to Hunt for Fabled Galleon Off Oceanside - Los Angeles Times
    Good Luck, Keith

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds')
    Minelab Explorer
    1749 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    When I first read Markey's statement that he had found a cache of gold coins dating from the 1st Century BC to AD 1500 which Ulloa had planned to use in bartering with local Indian chieftains-- I couldn't stop laughing--I still am. To even suggest (as Markey did) that Ulloa brought ancient and 'modern' gold coins from Europe to use as barter with native Americans is... ( I can't find the words).
    Don.........
    PS: kvk971 Welcome to Treasure Net !! You may have better luck searching around where Pendleton's barracks, BOQ, BX, baseball field grandstands and other facilities were during WW II.
    Last edited by Mackaydon; Aug 14, 2012 at 09:15 AM.

us
    Jul 2007
    Florida
    Aque Pulse
    14 times
    1540. Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortez ordered three small caravels, under the command of Captain Francisco de Ulloa, to explore the coast of California. Before reaching the waters of California, one of the ships, the Santo Tomás, was scuttled and another, the Santa Agueda was sent back to Mexico. The remaining ship, the Trinidad, 35-tons, and her twenty-four crewmen, continued on alone and by summer was in the vicinity of San Diego. By the end of August, the tiny caravel was moored off San Luis Rey and all of the men were placed ashore due to sickness. A sudden storm blew in while the crew was ashore and the Trinidad disappeared. Apparently the anchor cable parted and the vessel drifted to places unknown. In recent years there has been a great deal of publicity concerning persons claiming to have located this shipwreck as well as claims that a substantial amount of treasure has been recovered from the wreck. One author claims the log of the Santa Agueda tells of Ulloa removing a chest of gold from his ship and placing it aboard the Trinidad. However, no evidence to substantiate the claim of the discovery and no proof the ship carried any treasure has turned up. Even if the wreck is discovered, there is little chance that the Trinidad carried any treasure at all, with the exception of a few personal effects belonging to members of the crew. Various theories place the wreck site the near Santa Ana River, or somewhere off Point La Jolla, possibly between Encinitas and Solano Beach. The San Luis Rey Historical Society offered a $10,000 reward to anyone finding the remains of the Trinidad. The reward still remains unclaimed to this day. (Note: The first published account of the Ulloa expedition can be found in Francisco Lopez de Gomara’s book, the Conquista de Mexico, probably written shortly after 1542. A few years later, in 1556, an extended account of the expedition appears in G.B. Ramusio’s Navigationi et Viaggi, volume III, translated in Italian and purported to have been written by Francisco Preciado, who witnessed and recorded the events of the voyage in the form of a diary. That Preciado wrote in Spanish seems most likely, but if so the original has disappeared. In 1600, the Italian version was translated by English historian Richard Hakluyt and published in Principal Navigations, volume III. For more information see California Voyages: 1539-1541, Translation of Original Documents, edited by Henry R. Wagner, published in 1925.) (Source: Shipwrecks & Nautical Archaeology of the New World: A Comprehensive Directory 1492-1900) PP. 921)
    Thomas L. Smith likes this.

us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Pinellas Park, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II
    173 times
    Shipwrecks
    Robert, where can I get a copy of that book, Shipwrecks & Archaeology of the New World?

us
    Jul 2007
    Florida
    Aque Pulse
    14 times
    Pete

I'm offshore right now but have access to the internet. Email me and I will give you book ordering information. maresearchinstitute@hotmail.com

us
    TEA...taxed enough already

Oct 2005
    San Diego California
    Bounty Hunter
    11 times

Markey was a fraud

I posted on this subject several years ago after discussions with Markey's photographer's dentist, who also knew Markey. The photographer's name was Drdek, and he related the made-up story to the dentist. The dentist is now a local north county historian (name escapes me). Turns out I worked with the photags son (Frank Drdek) for 2 years back in the 70's. He knew nothing of the story and his dad had died many years ago. No skulls, helmets, swords, cave, has ever been located. It was a story made up by someone needing attention. As I understand, many locals tried to discredit him simply because it would discredit Cabrillo as the 1st to set foot on CA soil. Many landmarks carry his name, ie, Cabrillo Lighthouse at the end of Pt. Loma.

Apr 2005
    2 times
    boninsd,

Markey was looking for Ulloa's ship: nothing to do with Cabrillo, who explored the coast shortly afterwards, in 1542-43, and who was probably the first European to land in what is now the State of California. as far as I remember.

There is another photograph that is exactly the same, except for the skulls etc., which shows that the Markey photograph was phoney.

As Allen_Idaho says, Ulloa turned up in Spain later, so any search for the Trinidad is a waste of time. It's a shame, though, because if it was ever found, it would belong to the current heir to Cortes, and I happen to be her sole representative and agent on matters related to any of his ships. She/we would be delighted if one turns up.

us
    TEA...taxed enough already

Oct 2005
    San Diego California
    Bounty Hunter
    11 times
    I was only pointing out that if the story was true, Cabrillo would have "lost" his title as first.

us
    Jul 2012
    San Diego, CA
    3 times
    Shipwrecks
    Pretty sure nobody is interested any longer, but I managed to find this in my search for other shipwrecks along the Sothern California coast.

Its from the CA State Lands Commission from 1968 authorizing the search permit for Wilfred S. Takasoto to search for the Trinidad.

May I just say that I don't really believe in the story of the Trinidad, the history simply doesn't back it up, but that's not to say there may not be a wreck in the area as I also found this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santo Domingo Wreck reference.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	308.9 KB 
ID:	724664

The Santo Domingo is reportedly in the same area and supposedly went down in 1540. My main problem is finding documents that reference ANY of these wrecks. The San Pedro is the only one I've traced down and know for a fact existed. The rest of these I just can't find any documentation on.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Klems; Jan 12, 2013 at 07:29 PM.

Sep 2012
    122 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Klems View Post
    Pretty sure nobody is interested any longer, but I managed to find this in my search for other shipwrecks along the Sothern California coast.

Its from the CA State Lands Commission from 1968 authorizing the search permit for Wilfred S. Takasoto to search for the Trinidad.

May I just say that I don't really believe in the story of the Trinidad, the history simply doesn't back it up, but that's not to say there may not be a wreck in the area as I also found this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santo Domingo Wreck reference.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	308.9 KB 
ID:	724664

The Santo Domingo is reportedly in the same area and supposedly went down in 1540. My main problem is finding documents that reference ANY of these wrecks. The San Pedro is the only one I've traced down and know for a fact existed. The rest of these I just can't find any documentation on.
    I can't help you with the documentation...who knows what information lies waiting to be discovered in the Archives of the Indies, but here is an interesting thread concerning the San Diego County area: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ca...-trinidad.html

I don't believe the Trinidad story for an instant, but that there are Spanish Colonial era wrecks in Socal, I take as a given...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors