ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Congratulations Lynn, glad to hear you found something worthwhile. Looks like a nice boat if you're into the small stuff :D I'd settle for just the crane....

Keep us up to date on the project, it's always interesting to hear about other's adventures.

Jason

crzhors

Oct 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Excaliber,Pulse8X
Congats Lynn, I worked alongside that gang in Key West,Top notch group,Get ready to work real hard when you go ashore! They like to keep that platform painted and clean.Say howdy to Doug and John.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lynn, Congratulations......I saw the Polly L a few winters ago in Fernandina, very neat rig. You've got a great opportunity ahead, best wishes.

Brad

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I saw that rig on the East Coast a few years ago and then I think it was this spring in the Key West harbor anchorage area. It could ride out any waves. Where is that going to be working?

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
The Polly L is heading to Melbourne as we speak. My plans are to be on board Friday night for the weekend. The site is sub-leased from the Fishers.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lynn,Very interesting and what is a american salvage ship doing in Australian waters.Please tell more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tinpan

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm not certain, but I assume Lynn is speaking of Melbourne Florida..not Australia.

Jason

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks jason for info, That's why i asked ,Melbourne Australia is a long way from home and if some-one was to travel that far must be on to something big.

tinpan                 

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan said:
Hi Lynn,Very interesting and what is a american salvage ship doing in Australian waters.Please tell more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tinpan
tinpan said:
Thanks jason for info, That's why i asked ,Melbourne Australia is a long way from home and if some-one was to travel that far must be on to something big.

tinpan
you dumb ass :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

GorskiDvr

Oct 11, 2006
Houston Tx
:D I was wondering ..............

Liftboats that small don't travel across oceans ..........
Those boats are very tempermental in seas , & when I say seas I mean 2's to 3's.
The companys that own lift boats generally don't allow them to travel to depths that excede the length of the legs by 30' I think .This is because if the seas get rough the only recourse is to "jack down" & if they are in to deep of water , they can't , & will likley roll or flood & loose power.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi all, Platform salvage ships like the Polly l can be transported on much larger ocean going vessels,I believe that these larger vessels are like floating marina and can hold a vessel to 100 foot.

In the waters off Port Philip Bay theres over  700 known shipwrecks and numerous uncomfirmed wrecks.Some of these uncomfirmed wrecks are believed to be Dutch East India Company trade vessels that explored the southern waters long before settlement.The Gold rush of 1851 - 1900 produced over 70 million oz's of gold and most was tranported back to England, in this period.With the start of the gold rush the local population went from 75, 000 to over 300, 000 and more than 70 % of supplys where brought in by ship. With this sort of maritime activity there would no doubt be quite a few sea miss-haps.At this moment theres 6 on going maritime archaelogical sites in port Phililp Bay alone.Also before 1850 large numbers of american whaling ships worked the southern waters of Australia,Large penal colonies where here around the early 1800,s and british transported large numbers of unwanted people to these locations.These water indeed could produce large amounts of relics and gold.I now Australian martime law does not allow private salvages but if one was to research and dive under permit would the Australian government pay a nice salvage right prize for your efforts.Also in deep water recover{water over 40 meters} requires special equipment and advanced martime expertize that only american companies could provide and the local maritime Archaeological unit would have to indeed lease the services of campanies of this nature.I only made the a location area error and it seems i,m not a dumb ass at all.

tinpan

Cablava

May 24, 2005
When towing a jack up barge, we sometimes lower the legs in rough weather to get the center of gravity lower, the idea is not to jack down to the sea bed. So the water can be as deep as you like.

If you are in 30ft of water in a storm and you jack down to the sea bed on a small jack up barge you will damage the legs and end of story for the barge.

Of course if you can jack down inside the barges paramiters then great, but not in rough weather, not if you like the barge the way it is.

GorskiDvr

Oct 11, 2006
Houston Tx
;) Oh ok , ....... never seen anyone towing one, I have seen them transport them via semisubmersible boats that can actually sink under the jackup boat & rise up underneath it.I have to agree with you on the potentual to damage one while jacking down in seas , but in the situations I've been in , it was either that or try & turn around (in seas) & try to make it back to the/a dock. I have worked on 72 different jackup boats varying in size. They all have one thing as far as procedures in common........... while underway & the seas get to rough (which doesn't take much) they stop & jackup till the seastate passes. If they are jacked up & seas get to rough & start smacking the bottom of the boat they jackup higher. I have been in one situation where it got rough & they continued underway after jacking the legs down halfway , it stabilized us somewhat. That didn't stop the crew from waking up the dive crew @ 0200 in the morn & making us stand outside in 40 degree weather in the rain with our life jackets on. I was told later that the only reason they did not jackdown is because we were in an area known as the "spagetti bowl" (ST21 area) off of Fourschon where the pipelines are not burried properly.

I could not think of a better platform than a liftboat to get some work done.

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Must admit I have never had one so small on tow but I have had large jack ups moved from Singapore to Dubai several times. Also moved many of the heavy lift barges from the US to the Middle east by Dockwise etc. (submersible heavy lift).

The small ones often only opperate in shallow areas so if you have the forcast then I guess jack down quick.

I have salvaged a few little ones in the Middle East, that fell over, the pnumatic jack up sytems are not so great.

GorskiDvr

Oct 11, 2006
Houston Tx
Yeah , we had one in the middle of the night have a leg buckle........ none of us hit the water ............... sorry I couldn't say the same about the 5120's diveshack & a couple of the divers hats ...........

Sorry for hijacking your thread DiverLynn !
Jackup boats are great to work on !

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Don't be silly! I am enjoying the post's and looking more and more forward for the weather to clear.... Doug and his guys must be a bit chilly out there right now.
Think I'll wait til the air temp and seas change. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread