California Unfound Shipwrecks - Know of any?

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty easy go of it until ships try to cross the bar of the Columbia River, the graveyard of the Pacific! It still sinks them today up here in Washington.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my difficulty is mainly because there aren't too many records of shipwrecks out here? If so, that's a bummer.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most wrecks would be in and around harbors and Could be marked as hazard to navigation on maps. My garmin program lists the wrecks in puget sound and the Columbia river but I did not pay for California maps.

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I recall this was mentioned on another thread, there are a few Spanish wrecks. There are two inland as well. One around the Salton Sea and the other was up on Lake Owens. The lake Ownes wreck is questionable, but interesting. There was a ship that would haul the silver ore from Cerro Gordo across the lake to shorten the trip. The story goes that the ship caught fire and sank. Could there be bars of silver somewhere in the lake?

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of the ship around Salton Sea. That legend is pretty well-known and I actually suspect that there may be some truth to it. Can you link me to the other thread so I can read up on the Spanish ships that were lost?

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Here is one for you. In 1913, a steamer named the "H. J. Corcoran" capsized off of Meiggs Wharf in San Francisco. While the vessel itself was salvaged, a safe containing $30,000 in gold bullion was lost in the harbor mud. I can find no record of it ever being found.

Bedonkohe

Jan 3, 2024
Pretty easy go of it until ships try to cross the bar of the Columbia River, the graveyard of the Pacific! It still sinks them today up here in Washington.
Made that run out of ilwaco many times. Wrecks are behind the north jetty south of the North Light. --- most are commercial and private boats that did no any better.
COLUMBIA RIVER !

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made that run out of ilwaco many times. Wrecks are behind the north jetty south of the North Light. --- most are commercial and private boats that did no any better.
COLUMBIA RIVER !
Highly mineralized areas are common on the west coast. A mag can't work some places, too much iron or even copper minerals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread