Spanish gold and silver on NJ beach - from 1781 shipwreck

don digs gold

Jul 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the spirit of helping others make their find of a lifetime I have researched some information and confirmed a great location for finding Spanish 8 reales and Spanish gold coins from a shipwreck that went down in 1781 in southern New Jersey. All the coins that have been found to date at this location are from 1781 and earlier

My detecting buddy was on the site and was shown a number of the 8 reales and gold coins found by someone who frequently detects there himself. There are about 50 guys that detect here that keep this location close to the vest from everyone else well that is about to change right now. EVERYONE should have the opportunity to detect there and maybe make their find of a lifetime. The area is known as Strathmere Beach - Roosevelt Blvd off the Garden State Hwy then head south.

Apparently, there were HUNDREDS of these reales/doubloons found over the last few years on the shore (not in the surf) after a dredging operation dumped sand from Corson Inlet onto the beach. Once the finds were discovered by the local authorities, they now have included an archeologist on the dredging ship and now use a screen at the intake area to catch any coins that might get sucked up.

My research indicates that the ship that went down is The Fame which was an American privateer. In 1781 she was sailing off the coast of New Jersey.
According to Walter and Richard Krottee's book Shipwrecks Off the New Jersey Coast: "She had captured a number of heavily laden prizes just before she Foundered" on February 22, 1781. The Fame went down north of Peck's Beach. The location of this wreck is unknown but she is believed to be a treasure site."

However based on the dredging and dump site where the artifacts were found we can now determine that The Fame actually went down much further south than Pecks Beach (which is now known as Ocean City, NJ) at Corson Inlet at the Strathmere Bay area on the ocean.

You can be sure that I will be there next big storm - hurricane or noreaster - looking for my gold doubloon or piece of eight. See you all there if you're 6 hours away its worth the trip

Email me for more exact location on the beach in the dunes where coins were found

Good hunting,

Don

wide shot strathmere comp.jpg corsot inlet comp.jpg access to beach comp.jpg

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting stuff, thanks for posting. Now everyone rev up your Mags and Side Scans.
ZDD

spdnj

Feb 11, 2009
everyone can't wait for you to come down barry..... ummm I mean Don.... a lot of people are dying to meet you now!! Im sure you will have a great trip from NY!!!

trsrseeker

May 10, 2011
FL / NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field, Excaliber 11, Sovereign, CTX 3030
You forgot to mention that a permit from NJ Parks Dept is required for this site.

OP
OP
D

don digs gold

Jul 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spdnj - why are you saying barry??? i don't know what you are talking about...

how about you let everyone play in the sand

that's public beach - a dealer in southern NJ told my buddy about it and I did the research to confirm it because I didn't believe him - I thought he was just trying to sell him an overpriced metal detector...

parks permit? well i'm not sure about that (show us the rules) - but I guess the parking is rough in season...but it's worth the walk for a few blocks...can't wait to be there for the next bad storm that cuts up that beach!!!

Last edited:

spdnj

Feb 11, 2009
You should get that quote right, I do not believe it was a south jersey dealer who told you about the site, i think you meant your central nj dealer. Please do not confuse people when giving someone credit for what is causing someone like you to do something like this!!! Please make sure the proper person gets the credit!!

that's public beach - a dealer in southern NJ told my buddy about it and I did the research to confirm it because I didn't believe him - I thought he was just trying to sell him an overpriced metal detector...

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Take it easy, spdnj. Don't hold it against Don for letting the cat out of the bag. In all honesty, it isn't Don who let the cat out of the bag. The cat has been running loose for some time. About 2 years ago, a fellow TNet member posted a youtube video documenting his his hunt and his finds. His video included road signs in which he traveled from the Philly area to the Jersey coast. Also with the video, he posted his celebration in a local diner/bar. The name of the business was on the menu. It was just a matter of googling the diner/bar's name to find the area. In the video, he also showed where he parked and the beach access area. Again, it was only a matter of comparing the video footage with Google's street view.

Don hasn't published any great secret. I will commend Don on the spirit of his post. It is one big sand box - plenty for us all to play in.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
old news...and yes some of this area is state park where permits are needed.

spdnj

Feb 11, 2009
Take it easy, spdnj. Don't hold it against Don for letting the cat out of the bag.

If Don was really Don it wouldn't be that big of a deal. He has been banned from other forums already for this fake aliase and others he has. His spirit or motivation for doing this to get back at people he is mad at, not to help people. there is a complete story behind the scenes that all of you are not aware of..... yet. Do you really think someone would post something like this for no reason, think about it. How long has his login been around, look at it. This is just one of many of his shenanigans to stir the pot. He can take all the credit he deserves, but he is hiding behind fake logins and using other people to do it!

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SPDNJ, This isn't new news. If you follow this and other forums you would of known it's been posted more than once. You obviously are upset about this info being posted by him, but its not a big deal. You still have to be there at the right time and have a little luck. Get over it and be happy you have been able to go there and enjoy it.

OP
OP
D

don digs gold

Jul 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There you go - Hangingfor8 - now we're talking.
There is a real conspiracy theory going on with these NJ boys - you should see the PM's I'm getting - about who I am...Batman or Bruce Wayne? Superman or Clark Kent?
Will probably need to tote my 12 gauge along for the ride when I head over to this NJ spot next big storm...show these Jersey Shore beach boys how Snooki and Pauly D from Arkansas really ride...I hope y'all find some good pirate booty so you can JWow all these beach fleas...

And while everyone from the area is claiming it's all "hunted out" - they sure are getting their panties wet about the info...

Happy detecting...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop the personal attacks!

There is nothing in Don's post that violates any TN rules...even if he was posting beach site for personal reasons it still does not violate our rules, but personal attacks on members does violate TN rules.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Don was really Don it wouldn't be that big of a deal. He has been banned from other forums already for this fake aliase and others he has. His spirit or motivation for doing this to get back at people he is mad at, not to help people. there is a complete story behind the scenes that all of you are not aware of..... yet. Do you really think someone would post something like this for no reason, think about it. How long has his login been around, look at it. This is just one of many of his shenanigans to stir the pot. He can take all the credit he deserves, but he is hiding behind fake logins and using other people to do it!

I see nothing wrong with the Initial
post. all members of treasurenet are allowed to Share info on sites.
Unless someone can show where his post word for word is Copyrighted,
if someone dosn't agree
embedded_4f5ae1c82a7306.94113549.gif

and sorry but, we do not care what "Other Forums" Do or think.
we are TreasureNet, Not "other forums"
:icon_thumright:

Question: What would a TreasureHunting site be without Leads ?

Answer: Google Images

Last edited:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There you go - Hangingfor8 - now we're talking.
There is a real conspiracy theory going on with these NJ boys - you should see the PM's I'm getting - about who I am...Batman or Bruce Wayne? Superman or Clark Kent?
Will probably need to tote my 12 gauge along for the ride when I head over to this NJ spot next big storm...show these Jersey Shore beach boys how Snooki and Pauly D from Arkansas really ride...I hope y'all find some good pirate booty so you can JWow all these beach fleas...

And while everyone from the area is claiming it's all "hunted out" - they sure are getting their panties wet about the info...

Happy detecting...
:o you really know how to make friends :laughing7:

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ok everyone has a right to post info on any public lands that are good to hunt --even if folks just want to "hose"one another by outting one of the other persons "honey hole" spots so be it --if its public land , its "open season" folks -- true its a nasty thing to do but not illegal * to share a persons good spots if its "public land". -- to get even give up some of their "good spots" , or just go and hit them yourself --sadly some greedy folks think its all "theirs" for them only even the public land spots -they veiw as "mine,mine,mine" -- this reminds me of a couple of spoiled brat 3 year old kids - each with one of the dolls arms pulling on it ---jeez o petes grow up already.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok everyone has a right to post info on any public lands that are good to hunt --even if folks just want to "hose"one another by outting one of the other persons "honey hole" spots so be it --if its public land , its "open season" folks -- true its a nasty thing to do but not illegal * to share a persons good spots if its "public land". -- to get even give up some of their "good spots" , or just go and hit them yourself --sadly some greedy folks think its all "theirs" for them only even the public land spots -they veiw as "mine,mine,mine" -- this reminds me of a couple of spoiled brat 3 year old kids - each with one of the dolls arms pulling on it ---jeez o petes grow up already.

Well it may not be cool to out someones "Honey Hole" as you put it.
and if the person does it on a regular basis, and it is proven the person
is being a jerk, because they can, I would consider sanctions.

However in my opinion a protected "Honey Hole" would be private property, you gained permission for,
like a particular farmers field.
but fear others could get the same permission, just by asking.

sorry, I do not consider Public property, beaches, state property , etc where detecting is allowed
with or without a permit or permission, subject to these rules.

as far as I'm concerned anyone can list sites that are off limits also.
of course if someone tones in & says that's private property, or off limits to all,
that's fine too.

It's called sharing accurate info :icon_thumleft:

I also have no problem with someone saying something like
"hey, I or We am hunting that site, & would appreciate other avoid it for awhile"
however threats, put downs & accusations are uncool & invite others to ignore & argue :laughing7:

gopherguide

Jul 8, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to MDing and I am trying to find out if this location needs a permit to detect and if so, where would I go to get it. Who would I ask for and does it cost anything? I live in South Jersey, but have never metal detected before (well, I did test it out in my back yard -but that doesn't count). My son (a Marine in Iraq) just bought me a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver and I wanted to try my luck at this location.

From what I understand, some coins are in the dunes. I have seen signs at other NJ beaches that say "KEEP OFF THE DUNES". Does anyone know if the dunes are "OFF LIMITS" at this particular beach site?? I have heard beach tags are not required at this particular location, but further down they are, so I was thinking, maybe they are not as strict?

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, stay off the dunes in NJ!
You will get ticketed and fined.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corson's inlet borrow area.png click to enlarge

Wish I were closer to this one...

Of course, there are alternate possibilities...

strathesmere alt.png

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread