1715 wreck IDs

Leeholl

Jun 22, 2012
Reading
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
1715 wreck ID's

Heya guy's and girl's.
I'm still very new to the whole 1715 fleet story so sorry for the newbie question, but how come there is so little ID'able evidence on the wrecks.
Is it down to the initial salvage cleaning up all the choice items or the way the ships scattered over such a wide area, or a combination of all the above.
Cheers chaps and good fortune to all.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much yes. The "coinage" is/was mass amounts of regular shipment divided amoung the ships.

While some material has been found that "could" indentify "something" it only leads to more "speculation", not conclusions.

As an example there's been english artifacts found on more than one wreck site.

I have a saying. You can ask 5 salvors which wrecks are where and get 6 different answers.

It will be a combination of document research and salvage that one day might break the 1715 secrets.

For some that is a driving inspiration!

OP
OP
L

Leeholl

Jun 22, 2012
Reading
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Having spent the last few months reading a lot of the old threads on 1715 wrecks I can see how inspired a lot of the people are on this site, it has certainly got its hooks into me. It's that nagging itch that so many clues are known but they just won't piece together.
Here's hoping the final clue is just round the corner.
Thanks for the reply.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I had thought many were identified. However, I guess each season something else may surface which changes this information, contradicting what was determined from previous finds.

OP
OP
L

Leeholl

Jun 22, 2012
Reading
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know this is probably kindergarten level but is it not possible to narrow things down by the origin of the timber used?
The wood in what was the Hampton court must be I.d'able from the Dutch,French and Spanish wrecks or is there too little timber left.
Also i've just been reading an old thread that claims that the Urca site might not be the Urca at all, but does'nt really explain why.
Cheers.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To quote a friend, "These aren't sunken ships, these are ship wrecks." Wreck being the vital word. The wreckage is acres and acres of ocean bottom.

The State doesn't like us messing with ship's timbers, but I wouldn't honestly be able to tell you if they could identify it that specifically.

There are some that believe the "Carmen" wasn't the Hampton Court, there are some that say it was one of Ubilla's ships.
Research that I have done makes me believe The Hampton Court was NUESTRA SEN0RA DEL CARMEN Y SAN ANTONIO.

So now that possibly narrows it down to the Rio Mar wreck, Sandy Point wreck or the Wedge wreck :icon_scratch: or none of them.
???

Southern_Digger, it's all still up to interpretation and educated guesses. Since Kip Wagner and the Real 8 company found these wrecks they themselves have swapped around what they thought was where and some agreed with some while others had their own opinions within that initial group.

It will take a word for word translation of original documents to shine more light onto the fleet and the wrecks. Some has been done but things have been omitted because translators at the time didn't feel the information was useful or important to themselves or who they were researching for.

Also some translations were/are "loose" to fulfill agendas or sell books.

Then it needs to be compiled and cross referenced with water salvage and beach finds over the decades. Whew!!

Trembull

Jul 24, 2010
Oklahoma __ Y'All
Primary Interest:
Other
Pirate spyglass.gif
Urca De Lima (Shipwreck)--Florida Shipwrecks: 300 Years of Maritime History: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

The Spanish Treasure Fleets of 1715 and 1733: Disasters Strike at Sea

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread