Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ship's Bell Holder??? Lake Erie

83900001.jpg 83900002.jpg

thetigers2

Apr 20, 2009
Homosassa,Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS & my good old eyes...Oh and my Mischievous Mermaid a helping...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where about did you come across this, along the Ohio coast?Mike

OP
OP
LakeErieBeachComber

LakeErieBeachComber

Feb 16, 2012
Erie,Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum
Primary Interest:
Erie,Pa
Off the waterfront..U heard of the battle of 1812...The Nigara and Lawernce were built here..I've found more than this..Just want to know if i should be looking for a bell...
See my picture....I found that ring (20kt) where i found this...so many wreck's...A detector ...useless...brass nails...plus other thing's
Thank's

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Seems to be a bell bracket as it is similar to others. What is the inscription on it?

Attachments

• ship bell 1.jpeg
    ship bell 1.jpeg
    16.1 KB · Views: 450
  • ship bell 2.png
    ship bell 2.png
    220.3 KB · Views: 527
OP
OP
LakeErieBeachComber

LakeErieBeachComber

Feb 16, 2012
Erie,Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum
Primary Interest:
Just 1807..afraid to dig anymore rust off it...in fear of loosing any inscription.....under where the bell would hang is bronze...I find this stuff washed up on shore....I do not dive 4 it.....The Lake Erie Law..ya know.
Over 200yrs of STUFF...has to wash up somewhere

Capt Tom

Greenie
Aug 28, 2012
Philippines
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have my doubts about it being a bell holder, as the ends would be more solid for a swivel joint. I am asking my experienced wreck diving colleaugue who will probably identify it (boiler relief valve ?). I have just shown him the photos and he agrees with my assessment and says "Tend to agree with you, the ends would be circular to swivel, and the bracket would be deeper, also not sure they would use steel. It could be a pressure cover holder, that could be removed along with a cover to see inside a vessel." So there is our answer . This is not a bell mount but something else.

Last edited:

jim/wpb

Apr 2, 2008
West Palm Beach
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, F75SE, Excalibur, Whites Dual Field, Aqua Sound
Primary Interest:
Hmmm. Port Clinton, Catawba Island, Marblehead, Sandusky? Oliver Hazard Perry? There is a wreck about 1/4 mile offshore just to the west of the municipal beach in Port Clinton. In the late sixties when I was a kid, we found lots of spikes and hardware there that was believed to be from War of 1812 era. When the wind blows heavy from the southwest, the water blows to the other side of the lake and exposes lots of things.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like bell holder of some type. Here's a school bell.

mi_Pinedale-SchoolBell_JPG.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions