Anyone know the name, date of the shipwreck at Jap Rock, Palm Beach County, Florida

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
This is another wreck I heard about many years ago. On a bluff overlooking the beach, an archeologist conducted a dig in a prehistoric Indian site. That arch. was my mentor who trained me and I eventually served as her digmaster. Just south of the bluff was as early natural Inlet--now closed--where the Spanish supposedly landed to take on fresh water from the Spanish River. In the ocean at the rocks, someone found an anchor (during the 1950's) and; at first, wasn't sure if a wreck existed. I hit the water there a few times but never saw an anchor. The arch. said someone may have eventually recovered it. I was given two photographs of a few artifacts found on a shipwreck supposedly in close proximity to the rocks. I apologize in advance for the quality of these images because these date back to the early 1960's. Has a wreck been identified?

This was said to be the remains of a stiletto
shipwreck2-jroc-stilleto.jpg

Buckle--no dimensions provided with photo
shipwreck-jroc-buckle.jpg

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The new, politically correct name of that location is now Yamato Rocks.

You can start here for starters: Yamato Rock Exploration Area

I'm not ready to give you all my secrets just yet, but Red Reef Park and the golf course are better places to start looking.

Hope this helps. Tom

OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for info--but there is something here because I know what was found in the digs overlooking the beach. Note: the land site is on private, exclusive private property. Furthermore, regarding nomenclature for Jap Rock--I guess they may have changed the name but knowone has told the internet either...just google it and you will see...

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm not disputing your contention that there is "something there." We both know there is and the link I sent you confirms that.

My point was, if you are going to spend time/money/effort looking for something, there may be more valuable or historically interesting "targets" in the same proximity.

Like Hangingfor8 said, "there's more than that in the area."

Either way, I wish you success in your search. Tom

Last edited:

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There problem is as "mad4wrecks" said "if you are going to spend time/money/effort looking for something" I don't think there's much left. I think the original Spanish salvors got alot of it b/c of the water being so clear and easy to work. Anything that was left got hit hard in the late 50's 60's and early 70's by the locals. My family is from the area and my uncle and his friends spent every day after school looking for goodies as he says. Did they find things? "Maybe" was it alot? "no".

OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
his
I'm not disputing your contention that there is "something there." We both know there is and the link I sent you confirms that.

My point was, if you are going to spend time/money/effort looking for something, there may be more valuable or historically interesting "targets" in the same proximity.

Like Hangingfor8 said, "there's more than that in the area."

Either way, I wish you success in your search. Tom

Thanks Tom--I really did not have time to look at the link you provided until this morning. I don't plan on spending time/money to look for wrecks in this area. However, I have open 40+ year files on some and at this point, am trying to update those files with what is happening currently. I am mostly interested in the historical aspects of these wrecks--making money from them was far from my mind. That link you provide is very interesting and does satisfy some of my questions. Thanks for your input, as always--it is welcome.

OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There problem is as "mad4wrecks" said "if you are going to spend time/money/effort looking for something" I don't think there's much left. I think the original Spanish salvors got alot of it b/c of the water being so clear and easy to work. Anything that was left got hit hardMainly in the late 50's 60's and early 70's by the locals. My family is from the area and my uncle and his friends spent every day after school looking for goodies as he says. Did they find things? "Maybe" was it alot? "no".

As in the other post to Tom, I'm not looking for wrecks or treasure--I'm attempting to record updates to place in my files on wrecks in this area. Remember, my father's second cousins' family also found cannon and such from a spanish wreck off Boca back in the late 50's to early 60's. For the most part, I am pleased to learn (from link provided by Tom) that a study is being conducted to map and record wrecks in this area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions