Cast iron Balls?

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these on a wreck from the 1870s and just wondering if anyone can tell me what they might be. I posted pix of these on the "what is it forum" but have yet to get a response. I think that they may be fly weights for a steam engine governor but I am not sure about that. The ship was carrying a load of these so they weren't part of the ship's machinery.
Any opinions are welcome.
Thanks,
ZDD

Attachments

• IMG054.jpg
    IMG054.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG055.jpg
    IMG055.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG056.jpg
    IMG056.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 150

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
They look like a set I saw hanging from the back of a red necks pick up truck....
Maybe it is not a new idea and these were used on a buck board in the 19th century....

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like a set I saw hanging from the back of a red necks pick up truck....
Maybe it is not a new idea and these were used on a buck board in the 19th century....
Man that would be some heavy duty dingle balls.:laughing7:
We thought that they may be bar shot until I found these two that were intact. Perhaps they are counter weights for windows or something?:icon_scratch:
Sure would be nice to know.
ZDD

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It sure looks like governor weights. I dont know what the steam engine governors looked like, but I know there were weights like that.

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They had shot with chain between the balls for taking down rigging and clearing decks, possibly?

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure looks like governor weights. I dont know what the steam engine governors looked like, but I know there were weights like that.
I have done some time googling on fly weights but haven't found an exact match yet. I did find some close seconds though. The curved up end piece really indicates that it could be fly weights.
As the speed of the engine would increase it turned these balls faster, as they spun faster they would move outward and lift a valve up to release steam to decrease the engine speed.
ZDD

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried posting them on a steam engine/flywheel forum? If that's what they are, those guys should ID them pretty fast.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried posting them on a steam engine/flywheel forum? If that's what they are, those guys should ID them pretty fast.
No I didn't think of that forum, thanks. I will post it right away.
ZDD

Duh,,, I cannot seem to find that forum on TN. Is it a sub forum of another forum?:icon_scratch:

Last edited:

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant to find another message board that deals specifically with steam engines and hit and miss/flywheels.....

They should know right away if it has anything to do with steam engines, even if it is not a direct match.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Google search of: "steam engine forum" brought up several choices.
Thank's Jon, I will find some forums and post the question. If I do find out I will up date this thread.
ZDD

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The consensus from the Steam engine forum is that they are indeed gov. weights. It was quite common to use cast iron for these gov. weights on stationary engines.
Thanks everyone for your input.
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread