wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pegleg, this is not the place to offer memberships in your LLC. However, the discussion of funding shipwreck search and recovery operations is Quent Essential to most salvage operations being conducted around the world. There are numerous ways to fund a salvage operation, and not all financial plans and offers are necessarily above board as history shows us. I am not saying this is the case with your efforts.
The bottom line is that even shallow water recovery operations will cost lots of money, not just for the search and recovery operations, but the cost of preservation and storage of artifacts can also be costly. Some other options that you may want to consider, and should also be on the table in addition to seeking financial investors are partnerships with experienced individuals and or corporations who can save you money by helping you to avoid costly mistakes.
When dealing with financial Investors, partners with equipment and experience, and even offering percentages to divers and deck hands, well you will always be selling a part of your dream to others, and that will not be without cost.

Good luck!

Tom

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Wreckdiver1715,
I fully understand what you are saying.
I already have a storage location.
As far as preserving artifacts I do not see any problem because the artifacts will come from mud and water that is about 50% fresh water but is almost 100% fresh water when the tide goes out.
This will save on the cost of perserving most if not all of the artifacts that are recovered.
All items that are recovered will be placed in a safe and secured location.
I am also talking with several Archaeologist who are State certified.
But one of the main problems is HOW to do a Grid layout when the vis is O.
These guys have worked in the ocean where they could see and be able to layout a grid and photo items before they are removed. Here this is impossible to do.
This one of the reason why I am thinking of raising the whole ship. Of course this will cost a ton of money but this ship is almost complete except for a couple of large holes in her bottom near where parts of the rudder are still attached.. Mud is a great thing in perserving some things but is hell when you want to get something out of it. Sand is nothing but mud is a real bitch.
I have had a few Salvage Companies tell me that the ship will fall apart if we try to recover it AS IS BUT I believe it can be done. This is not a large ship as ships go. It is only about 55 feet long and about 20 feet wide.
I know that I will have to recover something before plans go this far just to prove the age if nothing else. Once the ship is raised then who the owner is can be determined.
A little something else that might be of interested. Metal Detector reading have been done for a distance of over 200 feet with hits all over the place.
Later
Peg leg

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
NC Brad,

Thanks forposting the findings of the SeaHunt case. SeaHunt Inc. had a prominent maritime lawyer prepare the basis for an appeal, but the Supreme Court would not allow it to be heard, so the SeaHunt findings become the precedent that will be applied to similar cases.

Mariner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions