mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Anyone here ever do any work there?

I have conflicting information from several internet sources as to who owns, claims or governs Serranilla Bank.

I am awaiting a reply from the US Dept. of the Interior

There are only two online documents of the U.S. Government that clearly provide substantial information about the point of view of the United States on Serranilla Bank. The first is a report to a congressional committee concerning the United States and its relationship with its possessions. This report can be read at http://www.gao.gov/archive/1998/og98005.pdf . The information specifically relating to Serranilla Bank can be found in the footnotes of page 39 of the report. Additional minor information concerning the basis of the United States claim can be found on the department of the interior's website. The second major government online article can be found in the Query Form For The United States And Its Territories of the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS), provided by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS):

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
it is Colombian territory.....But Honduras also claims it as Honduran territory and I believe that at some point even Nicaragua claimed as their territory.
Right now boats of the Colombian navy patrol the place and every once in a while you will also see Honduran navy vessels patroling the area

All the best,

Chagy......

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here you go, Enjoy!!!!!

Research Summary
The Serranilla Banks Project

Located near the center of the Caribbean Sea, in Colombian waters, are the
Serranilla Banks, a large formation of reefs and sand bars that were a major
navigational obstacle during the age of discovery and colonial period. As a
result of various maritime disasters, the Serranillas serve as the final
resting place for a diverse array of sunken ships, including the outbound
galleons travelling from Porto Bello and Cartagena to Havana. The Serranilla
Banks Project seeks to identify and evaluate the submerged cultural resources
present in this region.

Serranilla Bank

Map of Serranilla Bank Population: Uninhabited
(2006)
1510 Serranilla Bank first shown on Spanish maps.
18 Aug 1856 Claimed by the U.S (located two hundred ten miles north
northeast of Nicaragua).
Territorial Disputes: Colombia has not directly claimed Serranilla Bank but is on record as considering the bank apart of the Providence Archipelago in the intendancy of San Andres y Providencia; Honduras may have asserted its own claim over Serranilla as well; Also possibly claimed by Nicaragua, Honduras and Jamaica.

http://www.treasureexpeditions.com/1605_Terra_Firma_Fleet.htm

http://www.425dxn.org/dc3mf/bajo_ne.html

All the best,

Chagy.........

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
gdaddyflex:
I've been there; flown around it several times, then again, several years ago, with my boat, the R/V Explorer ((Honduran registry at the time). Beacon Key was occupied by Colombian military personnel; the other 'islands' were uninhabited--some as small as 50 feet long. I've placed several additions to similar threads on treasurenet about this place.
Don...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread