Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ship's Bronze Spike and Cob? Found on Beach

I have found what looks to be a very old ship's spike made hand wrought bronze. The spike is about 5 inches long and is not machine made. Also in the same spot I found what appears to be a cob. I found these items on the beach while metal detecting in a beach washout in Flagler County south of Matanzas Inlet.

I have posted these items on the Beach and Shallow Water Forum but nothing was definitive. After reading posts about the 1641 Plate Fleet my little brain started humming. Could this be?

Any Ideas or thoughts?

Tom

Attachments

• Spanish Cob1.jpg
    Spanish Cob1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 748
  • Spanish Cob2.jpg
    Spanish Cob2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 733
  • Spike10001.jpg
    Spike10001.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 295
  • Spike20001.jpg
    Spike20001.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 204

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
There is definitely a huge shipwreck there just waiting full of fake replica cobs. Now is the time to pull in investors.

OP
OP
Patrol

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my suspicions about the cob (corroded and encrusted), but, given that I found it near the spike at about a foot under the sand on a very remote part of the beach I wondered how to hell a fake would get there and why?

Nonetheless, it was a fun find and provided me with some excitement. Went back to that area and in a week 4 ft of sand has been deposited over the beach due to heavy wave action this week.

Tom

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You might try doing a 50/50 mix of muratic acid and water Acid can be bought at pool stores. Be very careful and wear eye protection, and do it outside. Carefully put the cob in and let it sit fpr 15 minutes and check on it. If it is real it could be left in until it is clean, if it is fake you would know by now. The round bumps make it look fake, so clean to verify. The spike could be anything from very old to fairly new, they used spikes like that for a very long time. Why do you feel it was hand made?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patrol

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel it is hand wrought because the fluting on the end is not symetrical and just doesn't look machine made.

I have to agree that the cob looks fake, but it weighs the requisite 3 grams and it's location was really out of the way and remote. It was very encrusted when I found it. What would be the reason for someone to put a fake cob in such a location so long ago? I will have it tested for silver tomorrow and get back to you all.

Thanks for your input.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The tip has been in the water and sand and has been beat in a wood beam, it should be slightly distored. Hard to tell. As for the cob, It might be a 1 Reale. Have you cleaned it yet?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread