Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi all,

We found these spikes in the Dominican Republic earlier this year and I think these are unique and interesting. I thought I'd share them here and see if the TNET knowledge base has any info on them. These were not found on the same wreck, they are from two different wreck sites. The first set are standard square-headed, square-bodied bronze spikes, but each one has the initials F.C stamped into them. I've seen broad arrows on the heads, but never initials. These have nothing stamped on the heads. The 2nd spike has a spade on the end, I'm pretty sure its purpose was to keep the spike in place but I've never seen one like this before. The spade is only on one side too, if you rotate it 90 degrees it looks like a normal spike. Wondering if this could narrow down a date or maybe nationality.

Enjoy, and if you know something about either, please share.

Jason

Attachments

• fv1.jpg
    fv1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 113
  • fv2.jpg
    fv2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 115
  • fv3.jpg
    fv3.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 140
  • spike1.jpg
    spike1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 110
  • spike2.jpg
    spike2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Looks like it says FV. I have never noticed any with that before. I have seen a spike with a tip like the last one, I think it was 1715 or at least found on the treasure coast.

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this reference...
The history of the company was originated in Attendorn, Germany.
In the second half of the nineteenth century, when Franz Viegner founded his firm “Franz Viegener II” by engraving his initials FV as a brand for his products.

Viegner specialized in brass...so bronze make sense.

Looks like he made the first bronze beer taps!

Cheers!

(I have no idea if this is correct)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks guys, Steve it was great to see you and Lynn last weekend.

Interesting AUVNav, I have emailed the company and was told that they did start out making Bronze fastners in the mid-1800's, which would fit with the general time period of this wreck. I'm sending them pictures for identification, I'll let you know what they say. Seems like a long shot, but you never know.

Jason

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes Jason it was good to get together with you and Jennifer, I didnt realize Lynn had never met Jen. We will have to do it again soon. I think ships fasteners are very generic, and hard to really point to what era or even country the ship is from, unless they are marked as yours are, or the broadhead on British ships parts, and that is just where the maker of the spike is. Kind of like TapCons, or cut concrete nails, everybody uses the same thing. Jason, here is a picture Gary Drayton sent me of things he found at beach on the treasure coast. There is a spike with the barb tip, like your last picture.. I have seen others too.

Attachments

• Treasure%20Coast%20finds.jpg
    Treasure%20Coast%20finds.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good Jason....and good luck!

While gold and silver coinage would be great,

I will expect at least a "like" out of this! 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions