Goggle:

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Sometimes I scan a lot of different places just to see if there is anything of interest and sometimes I run across some things that defy explanation.
I mostly scan the Gulf of Mexico since this is where my interest is at the present time.
A few weeks ago I was scanning a place looking for anything that was different among the reefs because I recall that Salvor6 had posted a scan asking about some very large holes in the reef section of the Gulf. Before I go into this I want everyone to know that I understand what ANOMILIES are-to some extent.
anyway
I came across something that I find very different among the reefs.
It is a PERFECT CROSS not an X but is shaped like a Crucifix but is very large.
This is the shape 0
0 0

I know that this could be anything EXCEPT for one thing.
The MEASUREMENTS are exact almost to the inch.
If you measure the top 0 to the right 0 and then from the top 0 to the left 0 there are the same-within a few inches.
Now if you were to measure from the right 0 and the left 0 to the bottom 0 they are the same.
There is over 100' from the top 0 to the bottom 0.
Yea I know -HERE GOES THAT NUT AGAIN ::) ;D ;D ;D
The reason I say 0 is because that is how they appear in the scan.
If anyone is interested I can give you the lat and lon and you can tell me what you think.
I sent this information to Cornelius but it appears that he is not interested.
To me it is very interesting but of course thats me.
Peg Leg
It makes a perfect CRUCIFIX.
If this is a ANOMALY

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Here are the cords.
29-09' 37.24" N
82-48' 50.50" W
To better see go to 350' eye view.
iN CASE SOME OF YOU ARE WONDERING -YES THIS IS THE GENERAL AREA OF MY GHOST SHIP. But it covers about 16 sq. miles.
When you look pay close attention to the BLACK area. This is MUD and SILT going out with the tide.
And some of you I know were thinking that this project could no be that hard to do. What do you think now and YES as you can now see(almost) the vis IS "0".
Peg Leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Cornelius,
I guess that you never got it but I did send it but no matter here are the cords.
Peg Leg

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Could be the footprint of a jack up barge, the odd leg position for walking the barge. if so what why was a barge spudded in at that location

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
I have seen similar markings on Terraserver many times. I even found a
"?" (question mark) on one photo plate. I believe these marks to be something
to assist the technicians in assembling the final make-up of the composite
photo.

Has anyone done this type of work?

Dinkydick

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You may be onto something there Dick, I did some aerial photo stitching for Lockheed a while back. The cameras on the Predator put little marks on the edges so that you can orient them properly. Interesting thought anyways. For some reason my Google Earth here at work won't let me put in GPS coords right now?!? Could someone shoot me a .kml of the location?

Jason

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Well guys I guess that I am going to have to find out on my next trip to the Gulf.
I am having the same guy who works with NASA take a look on their computer. Man you should see their system $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
It is so powerfull it can see the treads of the bulb in a Lightnin bugs butt at 400,000 miles ;D ;D.
Peg Leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Didnot want to start a new topic so I will aks the question here.
Was Cedar wood ever used in building ships?
Peg Leg

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I thought NASA was using an antiquated computer system, that they still had some computers from the Apollo days, and that by the time the shuttle system was in operation, that technology was nearly obsolete?

That's what they said on a Discovery channel TV show anyway.

The private sector usually has the good stuff.

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I have no idea but I will ask this ,
How good is the system that can disect a grain of sand recovered on Mars and get a clear scan of what is in that grain of sand?
I was told that this program was very expensive.
One must remember that the Government does not tell everything-sounds like the State of Florida. ;D ;D
Peg leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I have a CAD program that would cost over $9,000.00 and have no idea how it works. Of course I did not pay a thing for it so to me it is useless but I still have it -somewhere.
Peg Leg

Parkerized

Oct 11, 2006
Coastal North Cackylacki
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000/ Nautilus DMC IIB/CZ-6a/ Tejon
Re: Cedar

Pegeleg,
I know western red cedar is used frequently in smaller boats don't know about ships. Also Juniper is used alot and that's a cedar also.
Parkerized

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Yes sir is it s CAD CAM program.

Parkerized,
While probing the diver doing the probing came up with a small piece of wood that he said appeared to be Cedar. So we probed some more and we found wood that was close to 100' long.
I believe he was probing a Cedar log but you never know until you recover the object and take a closer look.
Thanks
Peg Leg

Dinkydick

Oct 2, 2004
PEG LEG

Why do you think they call Cedar Keys, Cedar Keys?

Older boats were usually made out of most local woods which would
survive under the harsh marine environment.

My last boat was planked with heart cut cypress which was also
used to make tanks to hold water at train stops. Cypress is a very
soft wood but survives very well in wet/dry environments. The vessel
had oak ribs.

Dinkydick

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
gdaddyflex,
I really want to thank you for providing this reference site.
It goes with everything I am researching.
Did you know that West of Turtle Mound there was a Spanish ship repair yard.
The Spanish had a channel dug from the Atlantic to the Lagoon. In fact I believe that it is listed on maps as Ship Island.
Of course the channel keep closing up with the tides and storms so they just left it. Would be a great place to MD don't you think?
Again thanks.
Peg Leg

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don, I believe the Turtle Mound area is off limits to detecting, but much history there for sure. The Spanish used it as a visual landmark from sea, but also came ashore there for wood, water and to repair their ships.

South of there is another good area, a lot to be found (visually) around the OLD Haulover Canal, just south of its present day location. (which is visible on Google Earth)

If you have been to the McLarty Museum recently you will see all of the artifacts that Doug Armstrong collected from a French campsite circa late 1500's that he found along the eastern shore of the Mosquito Lagoon, in the Playalinda Beach area I think.

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
gdaddyflex.
I have been to HAULOVER -the old one -many many times.
Did you know that at one time there were 3000 to 5000 troops stationed there-during the Indian wars.
I recovered a very large MATTOCK near the Cannon ramparts. When the Army moved out they shoved a 12 pound cannon into the mud so the Indian would not get it and it is still there and will remain there for all time.
The Fortress dirt works are still there.
This whole area is filled with history but no one will ever know it. Further north toward Oak Hill there was a Beer Company called Indian River Beer. It is only about 75' off A1A on the west side of the paved road. There are still old green beer bottles laying all over the place and several thousand Beer Bottle labels as well. BUT be carefull there are also a lot of BIG Rattlesnakes AMOUNG THE FALLEN DOWN WOODEN STRUCTURES.
At the old Haulover canal there is a HOLE in the ground near the highway. This was where the Army got their water. It is about 20' to the west of the paved A1A road.
I spent a lot of time looking for THINGS in this area. Actually this was my begining of Treasure Hunting.
Old habits are hard to break ae they not.
Peg leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions