Recovered Anchor

Hello,

I'm Argee. My Company is engaged in Underwater Archeology as proponent of the Philippine Museum.
In one of our projected wreck site, our finder found an Anchor which we have now lifted.

Please see attached picture of the Anchor.

Can anybody identify the anchor as to its period e.g. what century, type etc.

Argee

Attachments

• anchor.jpg
    anchor.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 389

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It appears to be a modern anchor, but I have not seen any quite like that. Maybe someone here has. First the style does not seem old, and the device that holds the anchor to the chain is the same as modern. Also seems quite in good shape and not corroded or anything.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argee,

nice modern anchor,now you have a new front yard ornament.

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
Definitely modern (shackle on the anchor chain is modern day). Since you stated that your company is a proponent of the Phillipine Museum I am assuming that the anchor was found in the vicinity of the Phillipines. Looks to me like an anchor that was locally manufactured from a single piece of steel that was cut up the middle and then had the flukes heated and turned out to their current position (forged, not cast). Either way, I don't think that this anchor, or the shipwreck (if you have found it) would be of real historical value and most likely will not contain anything of treasure value. But I could be wrong......

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
And if the chain was on it, that would make it no older than 1815, as that was when the first chain was made and used. The ring on the bottom is used for a bouy to pull the anchor if it is caught in the reef. I still say modern anchor. If the shackle was on it I would say only a few years old.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Was the ring on the bottom arc welded or mig welded on?

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks similar principle of anchors i use to make, cept mine were out of rebar (for smaller boats) >> wreck anchors so if it got hung to hard the flukes would bend out straight and keep u from loosing an anchor.

eborac

Jan 15, 2005
North Queensland, Australia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
argee,
that's a pearl raft anchor. big rafts up to 20 metres long made of bamboo tied to 44 gallon drums hold the pearl shell baskets hanging below. the anchors are positioned right around the rafts to hold them in place to take optimum advantage of the currents. they have been used for a hundred years where i live. cheers hh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread