Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: HMS Bounty sunk

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    725 times
    Yes, Captain Robin is still lost at sea. Rescue efforts are still ongoing. Below is a picture of the Bounty taken from the rescue helicopter.

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Aug 2012
    97 times
    For larger ships many times the best course of action in an impending storm is to get her underway as to save her from a certain death at the dock. That being said however, with the ample time everyone had to get prepared this does seem rather confusing as to why a not so seaworthy replica vessel would brave a large named storm so late in the game? Hopefully all the details to come will shed a little more light on just what their plan was! Either way a very sad and tragic story !!

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1426 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I toured the Bounty and the Pride of Baltimore II when both were docked in Milwaukee, WI one day. Both the Bounty and the Pride (I) were able seacraft. Heading into the hurricane is not fun... but a reasonable choice in such circumstances. Without getting into the reasons, if the captain felt heading "in" was the best.... it must have been. TTC
    At home the ground was covered with snow, and I was covered with sweat. My younger brother called me a killer and my daddy called me a vet. Still in Saigon. Charlie Daniels Band

Want to treasure dive in gin clear waters at Jupiter!

Nov 2006
    Jupiter, Florida USA
    20 times
    Some folks may consider me an opportunist but with this loss comes a unique opportunity!
    Take a look at the photos attached.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bounty sunk.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	694285
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bounty_Sinking.jpg 
Views:	1838 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	694286
    What an opportunity to video document what the actual ravage of a major storm event
    has on an ancient sailing vessel! Actual salvage of her most probably is not a viable option
    but the scientific documentation of the aftermath of is sad event can answer many questions
    and suppositions of what follows a major sailing vessels initial sinking.

If anyone may be interested in this type of a project contact
    me.

We have the right vessel for the job. She is called the "New World Explorer".

Here is a photo.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120612_140527.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	806.5 KB 
ID:	694287
    Last edited by capt dom; Oct 31, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
    Since 1987 our Jupiter Wreck has continued to yield coins but the question, "Where's the rest of the Ship?" has remained unanswered...  There are 2 layers of shipwreck scatter and we are equipping the "Enterprise" to excavate the primary treasure layer.  Join with us this year!

us
    Oct 2009
    1769 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If she didn't sink in too deep of waters, a diver with an HD camera and good lighting could really shed a lot of light on a deep-water sinking affect on these ships.

Jan 2005
    362 times
    I agree with Salvor6 There is questions that needed to be asked?

The vessel was up for sale the past few years. No takers the owner wanted to retire. There was no need to risk the lifes of the crew for the storm of the century.

Crow

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Larson mo jo pro Flippin stick
    2961 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I heard she had mech failure on her diesel engines and was at the mercy of the storm. If no engines did she loose her ability to bilge?How large were the swells?

us
    Underwater Heritage Rescue Diver

Jul 2006
    Tampa, FL
    AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
    196 times
    Shipwrecks
    Banner Finds (1)
    Unfortunately, she sank in about 13,000 feet of water. It will take some serious unmanned equipment to study the wreck. Luckily, the USCG goofed up and gave the exact coordinates of the sinking to anyone with the smarts to dig it out. I know I did. :-)

us
    Apr 2004
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
    41 times
    Shipwrecks
    Gotta love embedded GPS, eh? Check your email, bud :-)

us

Jul 2006
    Tampa, FL
    196 times
    Shipwrecks
    Banner Finds (1)
    Sorry Darren, I was so busy yesterday I didn't get back to you. I'll see you tomorrow at 10. Looking forward to showing you around. :-)

us
    Oct 2009
    1769 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaFinder View Post
    Unfortunately, she sank in about 13,000 feet of water. It will take some serious unmanned equipment to study the wreck. Luckily, the USCG goofed up and gave the exact coordinates of the sinking to anyone with the smarts to dig it out. I know I did. :-)
    Yep, that took me about 2 minutes to track down! Were you talking about 11:23:11Z pic?

us
    Apr 2004
    41 times
    Shipwrecks
    The dilemma with those coords is that the vessel was still afloat when the photo was taken. There's no telling how much longer she stayed adrift before completely sinking. Hatteras currents are fierce, and I assume the USCG didn't follow her until she completely sank. But even a slow descent at 13000 fsw could have her resting miles away. We know of many wrecks found far away from their reported coords.

us

Jul 2006
    Tampa, FL
    196 times
    Shipwrecks
    Banner Finds (1)
    True Darren, based on the time stamps and GPS of the original pics (which all had meta data when first released), she was making approximately 4 knots while half submerged. There is a high degree of error in that statement because the coordinates give us the helicopters position that the pics were taken from, not the vessel itself. Still its safe to say she was travelling northward as she sank. Based on how long it took her to go down, she could have travelled a looong ways on her 13,000 foot decent to the sea floor. Regardless, a deep sonar would likely make quick work of finding her as long as it is done within the next year or so. I hope somebody located her and maybe send an ROV down to check on her once in a while...there would certainly be a lot to learn from that endeavor.

us
    Apr 2004
    41 times
    Shipwrecks
    I totally agree, Jas. I do hope she is surveyed and found soon. It's safe to say she was moving NE due to the Gulf Stream current bending around the cape. It's also safe to say that she likely went further east as the Labrador Current collides with the Gulf Stream there and forces objects further out than inward. I have researched quite a few lifeboat drifts from WW2 and they're always pushed out that direction when wrecked in the same general area. No exceptions thus far.

Nov 2006
    Jupiter, Florida USA
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Yep, that took me about 2 minutes to track down! Were you talking about 11:23:11Z pic?
    One has to go pretty far off shore to find 13,000 feet of water in the Hatteras area. What are the USCG coordinates?
    Since 1987 our Jupiter Wreck has continued to yield coins but the question, "Where's the rest of the Ship?" has remained unanswered...  There are 2 layers of shipwreck scatter and we are equipping the "Enterprise" to excavate the primary treasure layer.  Join with us this year!

Nov 2006
    Jupiter, Florida USA
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren in NC View Post
    The dilemma with those coords is that the vessel was still afloat when the photo was taken. There's no telling how much longer she stayed adrift before completely sinking. Hatteras currents are fierce, and I assume the USCG didn't follow her until she completely sank. But even a slow descent at 13000 fsw could have her resting miles away. We know of many wrecks found far away from their reported coords.
    HERE, here.... all of this data adds to the body of knowledge of what happens to these types of sinking vessels, be it in the 17th century or today....!

us
    Oct 2009
    1769 times
    Quote Originally Posted by capt dom View Post
    One has to go pretty far off shore to find 13,000 feet of water in the Hatteras area. What are the USCG coordinates?
    33 54.193 73 50.344

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1426 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnmountains View Post
    I heard she had mech failure on her diesel engines and was at the mercy of the storm. If no engines did she loose her ability to bilge?How large were the swells?
    The bilges probably were on a system that included a generator unit in case of main engine failure. If the main engines failed, the vessel cannot hold the bow into the wind, which means it is in danger of going broadside to the wind and broaching..... very probable as the waves indicate it is in a broadside attitude. Also, Once the owner files his insurrance claim, the vessel becomes the property of the insurrance company. Ins company would ok any salvage. Hmmm, did the owner deliberately.... no, I won't go there. Anyway, the sailing community has suffured a great loss. TTC
    At home the ground was covered with snow, and I was covered with sweat. My younger brother called me a killer and my daddy called me a vet. Still in Saigon. Charlie Daniels Band

LM
    do
    I like finding stuff

Dec 2007
    Florida
    Charts and Maps.
    89 times
    Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diver_Down View Post
    the seaworthiness of the vessel
    I'm no expert on this sort of thing but I too visited the ship when it was here in town and intuitively speaking, it struck me more as a giant Hollywood prop than a craft built to endure a real life hurricane in violent seas.

Thoughts for the families of those who didn't make it. That gal sure was pretty.
    "There comes a time in every rightly-constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure..." - Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors