Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: HMS Bounty sunk

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2012
    Putnam County, WV
    19 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Let's not forget the Pride of Baltimore, a tall ship lost in a storm in 1986.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    744 times
    Most recent update:

From the HMS Bounty"
    "Thank you to everyone for your support and prayers at this devastating time. We want to thank the USCG for their bravery and risking their lives to save ours. At this time, 14 crew members have been safely returned to land. There were 16 brave crew members aboard the Bounty. With sadness in our hearts we are reporting that we have lost one crew member and still missing another. The USCG is continuing their effort to search for our last crew member. Please continue to send your love and support to us, it is much needed."

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2004
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
    68 times
    Shipwrecks
    Prayers going up for the last crew member. Very sad. Thanks to the brave men and women of the Coast Guard.

Charter Member
    Aquanut

Jul 2005
    Orlando, Florida
    Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
    154 times
    I could simply say it was stupidity at it's utmost. However, I don't know all the facts as yet. When I was a young man I ventured out into a hurricane off of Myrtle beach in a 23 foot boat. It was stupid. Fortunately I made it back in. I again went out in a vicious storm 60 miles off Hattreas in a 23 foot boat. 20 foot waves and a broken leg later, again I made it back in. Stupid! Another storm in the Chesapeake and Potomac river with 90 mile an hour winds also packing a tornado caught me unaware and nearly capsized my 36 footer. Ignorant. I've since learned to be a bit more cautious.
    Aquanut

Want to treasure dive in gin clear waters at Jupiter!

Nov 2006
    Jupiter, Florida USA
    23 times
    Second guessing or "Monday morning quarter-backing" a tragic result of the sea taking its toll does not make it any less tragic.
    I personally survived a sinking in the Bahamas - luckily for me just off Gunn Cay. What I can assure you was going through
    this ship's master's thoughts, as he was attempting to tread water was more sadness and concern for his crew.

The only thing that drove me to survive and make the swim to Holm's Rocks was that someone had to survive to signal to potential rescuers
    so the rest of my crew and passengers could be plucked from the raging waters as they were drifting off to Burmuda....

I believe it was Robin, the Bounty's Master who was lost...
    Last edited by capt dom; Oct 30, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
    TerryC likes this.
    Since 1987 our Jupiter Wreck has continued to yield coins but the question, "Where's the rest of the Ship?" has remained unanswered...  There are 2 layers of shipwreck scatter and we are equipping the "Enterprise" to excavate the primary treasure layer.  Join with us this year!

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    744 times
    Yes, Captain Robin is still lost at sea. Rescue efforts are still ongoing. Below is a picture of the Bounty taken from the rescue helicopter.

Aug 2012
    158 times
    For larger ships many times the best course of action in an impending storm is to get her underway as to save her from a certain death at the dock. That being said however, with the ample time everyone had to get prepared this does seem rather confusing as to why a not so seaworthy replica vessel would brave a large named storm so late in the game? Hopefully all the details to come will shed a little more light on just what their plan was! Either way a very sad and tragic story !!

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1590 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I toured the Bounty and the Pride of Baltimore II when both were docked in Milwaukee, WI one day. Both the Bounty and the Pride (I) were able seacraft. Heading into the hurricane is not fun... but a reasonable choice in such circumstances. Without getting into the reasons, if the captain felt heading "in" was the best.... it must have been. TTC
    A stranger is only a friend I haven't met yet.

Want to treasure dive in gin clear waters at Jupiter!

Nov 2006
    Jupiter, Florida USA
    23 times
    Some folks may consider me an opportunist but with this loss comes a unique opportunity!
    Take a look at the photos attached.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bounty sunk.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	694285
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bounty_Sinking.jpg 
Views:	2397 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	694286
    What an opportunity to video document what the actual ravage of a major storm event
    has on an ancient sailing vessel! Actual salvage of her most probably is not a viable option
    but the scientific documentation of the aftermath of is sad event can answer many questions
    and suppositions of what follows a major sailing vessels initial sinking.

If anyone may be interested in this type of a project contact
    me.

We have the right vessel for the job. She is called the "New World Explorer".

Here is a photo.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120612_140527.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	806.5 KB 
ID:	694287
    Last edited by capt dom; Oct 31, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
    Since 1987 our Jupiter Wreck has continued to yield coins but the question, "Where's the rest of the Ship?" has remained unanswered...  There are 2 layers of shipwreck scatter and we are equipping the "Enterprise" to excavate the primary treasure layer.  Join with us this year!

us
    Oct 2009
    1907 times
    If she didn't sink in too deep of waters, a diver with an HD camera and good lighting could really shed a lot of light on a deep-water sinking affect on these ships.

Sir piss alot

Jan 2005
    island in the coral sea
    Whatever I do not break.... Worlds greatest lover everything I touch I F---
    942 times
    I agree with Salvor6 There is questions that needed to be asked?

The vessel was up for sale the past few years. No takers the owner wanted to retire. There was no need to risk the lifes of the crew for the storm of the century.

Crow

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Larson mo jo pro Flippin stick
    3278 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I heard she had mech failure on her diesel engines and was at the mercy of the storm. If no engines did she loose her ability to bilge?How large were the swells?

Charter Member
    us
    Underwater Heritage Rescue Diver

Jul 2006
    Tampa, FL
    AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
    215 times
    Shipwrecks
    Banner Finds (1)
    Unfortunately, she sank in about 13,000 feet of water. It will take some serious unmanned equipment to study the wreck. Luckily, the USCG goofed up and gave the exact coordinates of the sinking to anyone with the smarts to dig it out. I know I did. :-)

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2004
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
    68 times
    Shipwrecks
    Gotta love embedded GPS, eh? Check your email, bud :-)

Charter Member
    us
    Underwater Heritage Rescue Diver

Jul 2006
    Tampa, FL
    AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
    215 times
    Shipwrecks
    Banner Finds (1)
    Sorry Darren, I was so busy yesterday I didn't get back to you. I'll see you tomorrow at 10. Looking forward to showing you around. :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors