HMS Bounty sunk

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I'm no expert on this sort of thing but I too visited the ship when it was here in town and intuitively speaking, it struck me more as a giant Hollywood prop than a craft built to endure a real life hurricane in violent seas.

My impressions exactly. A prop long past it's prime. There were many issues that were missing an attention to detail. In some areas, the "maintenance" bordered on neglect. I was disappointed when she docked in St. Augustine this past spring. In contrast, The Lynx which also was in port recently was immaculate.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bounty should have been retired to a lake at disney world.Speaking of props or replica pirate ships/boats.There was one at capt hirams.As sandy was approaching it had to be towed to a spot SE of the island behind finns marina where it actually survived the storm then was taken back to hirams for the pirate fest.Afterwards they moved it to finns marina under its own power it overshot the marina entrance and got stuck on a sandbar,they finally got it free and then it crashed into pilings right near my boat.If me and frank wernt on deck to fend them off they would have crashed into us.The only damage done was damage to their bow sprit from hitting a piling.All the replica stuff made out of PVC pipe was busted.We found out later they didnt have neutral or reverse on the underpowered outboard engine.People that build these things out of a old boat need to think about having enough power to get it out of harms way or even into a marina without damaging other boats and itself.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be Dan Wukits. He's added illustrations to some of my books, and he's gone to sea with Joel Ruth and I on mag jobs (not on his pirate ship).

Last edited:

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I was scanning some old photos and wanted to post these. This is HMS Bounty in 1982 anchored at Port Everglades, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

bounty1b-rip-1982.jpg

bounty2b-rip-1982.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I"m at a loss for words..almost. I'll simply ask: Why, when the mother of all storms is approaching from the south, would a captain steer a heading of (only) SSE in an attempt to avoid the storm. Why not steer due east till it was safe to change course to the south.
Claudene Christian had sent the following text message to her mother: "I'll probably be halfway to Europe before we get around it."
She should have been at the helm.
Don.....

El Dorado Seeker

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a replica, I guess they will build another one. That way the "emotional loss" is avoided. Since it was "only" a replica.
Otherwise it was a beautiful legendary ship.

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
I'd bet that the CG, the Navy, and the ins. co. already have the exact coordinates pin pointed, Just submit a FOIA request and you can probably get every bit of documented information they have about it so far, including all the video footage of it. Also, i'm no pro on the subject, but i'd say that if it is deeper than 1000', it's completely unsalvageable, just due to the effects of the water pressure on the wood alone.
Oh yeah, I've seen the H.M.S. Rose, and the Bounty come sailing by (at different times), while i was out lobstering, and i'll tell ya the Rose looked absolutely magestic heading N. with a strong SE. wind pushing her along under full sail. I'd say she was doing at least 15 - 20 knots, on her way up to Portland Maine. (i think the cap'n was showing off for photographers and a film crew on board), Because they wanted to swing one of the cameramen out on a yard arm and lower him onto our boat (while underway), The cap'n i was working for at the time "wisely" declined their insane offer !!!. Besides it was quite sloppy out there by the time they came up by, and we could barely keep up with them as it was.

The Bounty on the other hand was a plug on a becalmed sea, and they anchored in the bay for the night, I had circled them on my way back to the harbor, and boy that thing stunk !!!, it was worse than any fishing boat i have ever smelled.

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Although i'd bet that the insurance company would probably sell the salvage rights outright, quite cheap, But the laws being what they are, and with the deaths associated with it, you would probably never be able to touch it, or do a damn thing with it. But it sure would be cool to have the figurehad and bell off of it.

researcher

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2013
Southern NJ
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The vessel was up for sale for extended period of time prior to this event. Obviously as a replica it had little value other than tourism industry. It had an asking price of $5 million, lowered to $4.6 million with no takers.
Not that this has any change on tragedy, but seems to me as a sailor it was an avoidable situation. Certainly a week delay would not have harmed the bottom line by staying in port until hurricane passed. Many other ships of same size survived without venturing out to sea. Just my opinion as a seasoned sailor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread