HMS Bounty sunk

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I toured her while she was i port in St. Augustine this summer. There have been conflicting reports if all the crew was safe. There were 17 crew listed, but only 14 were rescued in the lifeboats. There were no other heat signatures that the Coast Guard detected while hoisting the crew to safety. Tragic news if true. A shame about the boat, but she can be rebuilt. Lives can't be replaced.

Recent Update: 14 have been rescued this morning. There are still 2 missing crew members suspected to be adrift. The HMS Bounty did slip beneath the surface, but there were no heat signatures on board. Godspeed to the missing crew members.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tragedy any way you look at it. I heard about it this morning on the news.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have to wonder why she was out in this storm. Sandy has been followed since her inception.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I used to visit the Bounty every time it was parked here at the Vinoy Yacht Basin in St. Pete. The first thing that hit me is that this vessel is unseaworthy. Its top heavy. It has a single diesel engine. The captain had several chances to make port before the storm but he decided to head right into the hurricane!

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Take a look here for the whole story in the words of the people that were on the ship.http://https://www.facebook.com/HMSBounty
They really believed they were taking the safest course, which once again proves that believing doesn't make it so.
Godspeed to them all and let us pray for all the sailors and ships at sea tonight...

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The director of the HMS Bounty Organization, Tracie Simonin, said the tall ship had left Connecticut last week en route for St. Petersburg, Fla.
"They were staying in constant contact with the National Hurricane Center," she said. "They were trying to make it around the storm."

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The captain could have pulled into Sandy Hook NJ, Delaware Bay, or the southern end of Chesapeake Bay. Instead he chose to go further offshore to "go around the storm." Sounds like an insurance job to me!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
IMO, the owners should be flogged and keelhauled for not directing the vessel to England a week ago when the course of the storm was forecast. Instead, they ordered a course due (?) south to Florida right into the path of the storm--yet saying they intended to 'go around' the storm--which, by the way was 1,000 miles in diameter--yet they were rescued off the US coast ?? Somethings fishy.
Don.....

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
They have recovered an unresponsive female crew member, one of the two missing, a short time ago. There is still one crew member missing - adrift at sea. Let's all refrain from passing judgement and focus our collective prayers on the rescue/recovery efforts.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Let's all refrain from passing judgement...

Mercy and justice are both normal responses in crisis. They produce sadness and anger respectively. Each person has their own reaction. Cries of mercy are admirable. Allow for the cries of justice as well so mercy won't be needed at later times.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Mercy and justice are both normal responses in crisis. They produce sadness and anger respectively. Each person has their own reaction. Cries of mercy are admirable. Allow for the cries of justice as well so mercy won't be needed at later times.

In due time... In due time...

I plan on adding my thoughts on the seaworthiness of the vessel, and the decision of the Captain at a later time.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Exactly what I was wondering. With good tracking on this hurricane, it makes no sense the Bounty was out here, unless she was trying to relocate.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
14 years ago, perhaps to the day, the 4-masted windjammer, 'S/V Fantome' (Windjammer Barefoot Cruise line in Miami) was lost at sea during Hurricane Mitch. My business partner was treasure hunting in the Bay Islands of Honduras and tied his small boat to a tree deep in a swamp, believing he could ride it out. At the storm's height, his line was still tied to the tree but all the trees were now submerged. Concurrently, the S/V Fantome was doing everything possible to avoid its ultimate fate. That interesting, but tragic, story is in the LOSS section here:SV Fantome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Don.....

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Most recent update:

[h=5]From the HMS Bounty"
"Thank you to everyone for your support and prayers at this devastating time. We want to thank the USCG for their bravery and risking their lives to save ours. At this time, 14 crew members have been safely returned to land. There were 16 brave crew members aboard the Bounty. With sadness in our hearts we are reporting that we have lost one crew member and still missing another. The USCG is continuing their effort to search for our last crew member. Please continue to send your love and support to us, it is much needed."[/h]

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Prayers going up for the last crew member. Very sad. Thanks to the brave men and women of the Coast Guard.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I could simply say it was stupidity at it's utmost. However, I don't know all the facts as yet. When I was a young man I ventured out into a hurricane off of Myrtle beach in a 23 foot boat. It was stupid. Fortunately I made it back in. I again went out in a vicious storm 60 miles off Hattreas in a 23 foot boat. 20 foot waves and a broken leg later, again I made it back in. Stupid! Another storm in the Chesapeake and Potomac river with 90 mile an hour winds also packing a tornado caught me unaware and nearly capsized my 36 footer. Ignorant. I've since learned to be a bit more cautious.
Aquanut

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Second guessing or "Monday morning quarter-backing" a tragic result of the sea taking its toll does not make it any less tragic.
I personally survived a sinking in the Bahamas - luckily for me just off Gunn Cay. What I can assure you was going through
this ship's master's thoughts, as he was attempting to tread water was more sadness and concern for his crew.

The only thing that drove me to survive and make the swim to Holm's Rocks was that someone had to survive to signal to potential rescuers
so the rest of my crew and passengers could be plucked from the raging waters as they were drifting off to Burmuda....

I believe it was Robin, the Bounty's Master who was lost...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread