Florida laws for metal detecting

jffbrk

Aug 26, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Does it seem that there is a huge gap between what the law is and how it is applied? Will the day come when metal detecting will be an outlaw activity? See a copy of Florida Laws about metal detecting from the state archeological site....

Laws regarding metal detecting in Florida are rather confusing —we always encourage anyone interested in metal detecting to always get the permission of the land owner or manager before detecting - that will prevent misunderstandings about what is permitted, trespassing, etc. Most cities and counties have their own ordinances regarding metal detecting - the City Manager, County Commission, or the Parks/Recreation Department can probably tell you. Most coastal cities and counties in Florida do allow metal detecting on their beaches, although some, like St. Johns County, have ordinances that prohibit the removal of historical objects from county lands. They’re all a little different, so that’s why we suggest contacting them directly.

Detecting on state lands is different and the removal of historical objects from state lands is prohibited. Some coastal state parks do not allow metal detecting at all, some will allow it between the shoreward toe of the dunes and the mean high water line, but only for modern objects. Some state parks will only allow detecting for personal items that are specified as lost in a particular area. If counties or cities lease coastal lands from the state, they are required to abide by state laws. Every state park will have an entry station with a ranger on duty, so always ask first.

As for metal detecting in the water, all lands that are below the mean high water line are considered state sovereignty submerged lands and, while it is not against the law to possess a metal detector in the water, it IS against the law to disturb the bottom sediments. So, if something is detected, it would be illegal to dig for it.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As for the last sentence, hand fanning and hand digging is allowed in the water, no dredging and blowing. Except in shipwreck admiralty claims and state shipwreck leases.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida is simple, you can't hunt state parks or federal lands..... Hunt private property only with permission, salt water beaches are not an issue as long as your not on the treasure leases.... Fresh water beaches as long as you enter the water on public access or owners permission you can hunt, people only own to water line, if you ahve boat you can hunt infront of someones house as long as you stay in the water and off their property.

If city or county parks do not have a sign saying no metal detecting then hunt them and fill your holes. Don't go to a park with a shovel, when your done if hunter did it properly they should not be able to ever tell they were ever there, if you can see where you were digging your doing something wrong, practice in your own yard till you can't tell you were there...

DO NOT write anyone asking if it is okay to detect or against the law to detect anything, do your own research. If you ask enough people someone will tell you no...

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If city or county parks do not have a sign saying no metal detecting then hunt them and fill your holes.

DO NOT write anyone asking if it is okay to detect or against the law to detect anything, do your own research. If you ask enough people someone will tell you no...

Great post. These last two items are really critical. The more you ask about doing anything, the more likely it you will be told you can't do it. Don't hand your freedom to do things over without a fight. And, if somebody tells you you can't do it, ask them to show you the written rule that pertains. Once the rulemakers decide it is more trouble then worth, they will quit bothering about it. In many cases, they act like bullys. And, like all bullys, they want easy victims to pick on...don't be one.
All the best,
Jim

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at Lovers Key State park last month, and the Park Ranger told us it was Ok to detect the beach, just not to disturb the sea grape bushes. They might have just been nice because i had my 11yr old son with me, But he seemed really nice.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting ocean beaches in state parks is left up to local rangers a few will allow, just be sure you have permission.... All federal land in Florida is off limits.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at Lovers Key State park last month, and the Park Ranger told us it was Ok to detect the beach, just not to disturb the sea grape bushes. They might have just been nice because i had my 11yr old son with me, But he seemed really nice.

Thanks for the heads up!

OP
OP
jffbrk

jffbrk

Aug 26, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Jim in Idaho said:
Great post. These last two items are really critical. The more you ask about doing anything, the more likely it you will be told you can't do it. Don't hand your freedom to do things over without a fight. And, if somebody tells you you can't do it, ask them to show you the written rule that pertains. Once the rulemakers decide it is more trouble then worth, they will quit bothering about it. In many cases, they act like bullys. And, like all bullys, they want easy victims to pick on...don't be one.
All the best,
Jim

Thanks for the input. I'm developing a metal detector that hides in your pant leg for use on federal land.....LOL

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. I'm developing a metal detector that hides in your pant leg for use on federal land.....LOL

You need to put the coil in your shoe, and then practice your Fred Astaire act. Don't forget the hat ..........

OP
OP
jffbrk

jffbrk

Aug 26, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
I have hunted state parks in clear view of the people in charge and had no problem. Many of the beaches around Sebastian Inlet / Vero Beach area are state parks and they allow metal detecting as long as you stay between the dunes and the water. They would have a problem with historical or archeological areas. It would be nice if they had a permit that allowed you to detect in generic areas of state forests and parks. A common sense approach on both sides of the issue would be helpful to all involved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread