Towards a Typology of Spanish Colonial Nails

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the poor quality of the illustrations from the source documents.

Towards...pg 1.png Towards pg 2.png Towards pg 3.png Towards pg 4.png Towards pg 5.png click to enlarge

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that's what I am talkin' about when I suggested weeks ago that someone place an i.d. guide for shipwreck spikes and nails. I have some 1870's Swedish or Scandanavian Nails taken from a well known schooner by my father years ago. I will post them when I find where I placed them.

Nick Frost

Mar 3, 2021
St Augustine
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, I'm a reenactment blacksmith in St. Augustine. I thought I would add to a nearly decade-old thread because this is one of the top results when you search for Spanish Colonial Nails, so I'm linking the source document the scans are from. The quality is somewhat better and there are a lot of other resources for identifying artifacts.

https://scholarcommons.sc.edu/archanth_anthro_studies/9/

If the link dies, try a search for the document, it's titled "Spanish Artifacts from Santa Elena" by Stanley South, Russell K. Skowronek et al. published by The South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology--University of South Carolina.

OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I'm a reenactment blacksmith in St. Augustine. I thought I would add to a nearly decade-old thread because this is one of the top results when you search for Spanish Colonial Nails, so I'm linking the source document the scans are from. The quality is somewhat better and there are a lot of other resources for identifying artifacts.

https://scholarcommons.sc.edu/archanth_anthro_studies/9/

If the link dies, try a search for the document, it's titled "Spanish Artifacts from Santa Elena" by Stanley South, Russell K. Skowronek et al. published by The South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology--University of South Carolina.

Hey, thanks man. I can't remember why, but there was a reason I did not post a link o so many years ago. I just can't remember why??????

Nick Frost

Mar 3, 2021
St Augustine
Primary Interest:
Other
Y'know, I just appreciate Jolly Mon posting the scans in first place. Sure, took a little hunting to find the source, but honestly I didn't expect a link that old work anyway. That's why I also posted the full title- maybe it'll help someone in 2029. Whether you're human or search engine, posting the pictures with the real title is much easier to find than the third appendix of a research paper.
Ty.

Quick question- does anybody know where to find the second to last image in very high resolution? It looks like an authentic advertisement for a Spanish Blacksmith. I would love to find a copy that I can print huge and put up in the shop. If I do eventually find a copy online, I'll link it here.
Ty again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y'know, I just appreciate Jolly Mon posting the scans in first place. Sure, took a little hunting to find the source, but honestly I didn't expect a link that old work anyway. That's why I also posted the full title- maybe it'll help someone in 2029. Whether you're human or search engine, posting the pictures with the real title is much easier to find than the third appendix of a research paper.
Ty.

Quick question- does anybody know where to find the second to last image in very high resolution? It looks like an authentic advertisement for a Spanish Blacksmith. I would love to find a copy that I can print huge and put up in the shop. If I do eventually find a copy online, I'll link it here.
Ty again.

I remember now! I did not post a link because there was no link. I photocopied pages from the document at the library.
In any event, I wish I had an easier answer for you, but you might start digging here:PARES | Archivos Españoles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions