Lookie at what I found

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
First of all...I must eat crow a bit for promising a "Flood of Side Scan Images" in my post last week. I did get my new Humminbird 987c SI unit installed with the side imaging feature last week as expected. However, my initial attempts at imaging were not very good to be honest mostly due to lack of experience with the proper settings, techniques, etc. Thankfully, forum member RGECY also uses this same unit and gave me some great advice.

Therefore, this evening I went out to give his advice a try. Lo and behold I was able to get much better images of the objects I previously attempted and I even obtained one that was most unexpected. While checking on some areas of interest that I found years ago with a convential fish finder, I stumbled on the wreck below.

normal_largewreck1_hidden.bmp

The above image 'clearly' shows the outline of a large ship with the stern being at the lower left and bow towards the upper right. As you will notice, the range setting for the side imaging was at 280 feet out from the right side of my boat which barely captures the entire image. The vessel appears to be sunken in the mud with the starboard edge being down deeper. The true dimensions of the ship is most likely smaller due to the nature of the sonar reflectivity at this range. This image was actually on my second pass. The image below was actually what first alerted me to something very large and was imaged from the opposite side and direction.

normal_largewreck1bow_hidden.bmp

The image above was made at a range setting of only 110 feet out from the right of my boat and is a bit distorted due to the wake of a passing boat as the sonar returns were being received. I believe this to be the bow area.

There are no indications of a wreck on any nautical charts for this area going as far back as 1857. However, this location is not in an area that modern deep-draft vessels should venture either.

My buddy and I will be diving on this wreck later in the week and we are probably going to be taking out the u/w video camera tomorrow night to drop over the side and see what kind of vessel it is.

I setup a gallery on this website for all to see. There are some other items that I imaged as well.

Pcolaboy

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I don't know a single tid-bit about shipwreck hunting, but that sure looks like an exciting find! Greatest of luck! I'll be watching and hoping your finds are exceptional. -Ben

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Scott,

Very promising target. Congratulations! I know the feeling.

I would love to get down and dive with you. Maybe sometime in January.

Keep em coming.

Robert in SC

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool man, aren't new toys fun!!!

Continue the flood.

Regards,
Brad

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Scott,

I also wanted to remind you to put the heading in your display view. This will help you if you go back and look at an image and try to determine which side of the boat it was on.

I see you have marked out the GPS ccordinates wisely.

We are looking for some more scans, keep em coming!

Robert in SC

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Once this cold front moves on through here this evening I'll be dropping by Starbucks for a quart of Joe and then on to the boat ramp for another night of searching.

I'm going to try several more scans of this large wreck from different angles, settings, etc. Then I will start working on some of the other dozens of areas that I've detected over the years with the standard fish finder. My dive buddy found two smaller wooden ships in a bayou last month where one wreck is lying on top of and perpendicular to the other making a sort of "X". Gonna try and get over there to image it as well.

Pcolaboy

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bravo, pcola!

There are those who are "sportscasters" on the forum and there are those on the field playing the game. It's awesome to see you're in the game. I know I speak for many who look forward to your next "flood" ;)

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Cornelius,
Do you have some kind of a complex or what?
Everytime some one makes a questionable remark like "SPORTCASTERS" You ask for names which to me you are making an assumption that YOU might be classed in that category.
I for one respect you because I feel that you contribute to the knowledge of those seeking advice on this forum.
THANKS
Peg Leg

AOSDC

Nov 25, 2006
Looks like a giant sea snake to me. Is this caused by the other boat near you causing a wake? Very cool what side scan can do . Lots of discoveries are going to happen within a couple of years.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cornelius said:
Darren . Who are the ,, sportscasters ,, . I am curious to know ,

I didn't have a picture of anyone in mind, Corny. It's just an expression to say we have a lot of armchair treasure hunters online who read magazines, forums and make comments (think sports commentator), while there are others who are out there doing the hunting (players). One is not better than the other - not everyone can hunt for many reasons. It was simply an expression of encouragement to pcolaboy.

Back to topic...

Pcola - what exactly is the "snake?" Is it the rim of a structure or the structure itself?

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
On the other hand, a sportscaster is generally someone who used to be GREAT at the game, but can no longer play so they explain things to the spectators that wouldn't otherwise know. In that respect, when I get too old to treasure hunt (play) I'd be honored to be called a sportcaster. Unfortunately, right now I'm in the minor leagues sitting on the bench :D

Jason

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I am a "sportscaster". I would love to learn to scuba dive, but haven't... using whatever excuse is convenient... but I love the idea of it. I wish all of you who are doing so the best of luck at finding great treasures. :) -Ben

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Well the damn front coming through has slowed quite a bit. 100% chance of the R-word tomorrow too. Hope to be back out during the weekend though.

Pcolaboy

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Ben,
I am a PADI dive instructor and I can tell you that even cave men can learn to dive! I became an instructor in Knoxville,TN and we taught all year round. In the winter months, I took students to Florida for their check out dives. If you want, I can certify you down here in one week. It would make a great vacation, no excuses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread