What about this?

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
This is just a thought.
We all know that there are Dolphins trained to locate certain items in the sea.
Why not train a Dolphin to locate shipwrecks?
You could even train them to pickup coins from the ocean bottom.
This is a FAR OUT THOUGHT I know but if they can be trained to find mines in the water WHY NOT train them for Peacefull means.
You could also attach a small UW camera or a Side scan sonar or even a Mag or whatever you needed.
Use a recording disc. This way you can look and see what the Dolphin was able to locate. NO wires or cables or anyother attachments other than a recording device.
Let say that the disc would last 30 minuets to 1 hour and when the time runs out a signal lets the Dolphin know to return to its home base. You replace the recording disc and the Dolphin is off and running all over again.
Think of the area you could cover in a short time.
The UW camera would give the GPS of everything the Dolphin saw.
If a Dolphin can be trained to locate mines why not train them to locate a cannon or ballast rocks or silver or gold.
It sure would be cheaper than running all over the ocean dragging all the electronic stuff needed to find a shipwreck.
What do you think?
Peg Leg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why take the fun out of doing it yourself?

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
The Marine Protection Act.
Please explain how the Navy can train a Dolphin to attach a Limpet mine to a ship and still stay within this Act?

SANDMAN:
This has nothing to do with the HOBBISTS who wants to dive just to look for something.
I am talking about the Professional THer who do this for a living.
Of course this may interfear with the Underwater Archaeologist training program ;D ;D.

COST:
Do a little math.
Price of the equipment used today vs the cost to train a Dolphin. It appears to be a little one sided don't you think.
AND where does it put the Dolphin in any danger. Go to Sea World and see how the Dolphins are trained? Actually all they are doing is nothing more that what the Dophin does in nature all by iteslf with the exception of having them do it on command.
There are coutries that still harvest Dolphins for Pet Food-Like Japan.

ALSO if you can please explain where the Dolphin is put into any danger at any time. All that will happen is a little device strapped to the Dolphin and that is all.
Of course there will be the DO GOODERS who will Protest no matter what you want to do.
Peg leg

privateer

Dec 4, 2006
Paquiwock
Detector(s) used
6 senses
in the end its all about the government-they can do what they want, while limiting what we can do-and they do monitor the web.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dolphins don't grow on trees...Where would one even go to buy a dolphin? Is the average citizen even allowed to own one? I have no idea...

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
You can purchase a Dolphin anywhere outside the U.S.
You can purchase TONS of them in Japan.
But I think that it WOULD be cheaper in the long run to use electronics.
It was just a thought anyway.
Peg Leg

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pegleg,

someone told me a story that mel fisher trained several dolphins to find gold coins an bring them back to him.so he took his trained dolphins out to one of the 1715 sites,tossed a gold coin in the water,the dolphins swam around his boat several times an swam off never to be seen again.so maybe thats why no one can find any more gold coins out on the 1715 fleet.the dolphins got them all an have them hidden out in the ocean somewhere.critters and some birds like to collect shiny objects.i know,my pet squirrel used to chew off the gold rca connectors off all my video cables an hide them an get them out to play with them as her toys.my dad had a pet crow that collected shiny glass an hid them on the top of a curtain rod.my dad checked the rod one day an found a gold ring that his crow found.he sold the ring and bought his first car,a 1930 model A.

jonesat

Greenie
Nov 3, 2006
Based on a Navy marine mamal study,...it was about 200K per year just to keep a dolphin/sealion/beluga whale , and thats based on keeping 15-20. If you take into account the probable overhead for just one,..you'd probably be looking at 400k plus, not to mention all the regulations and red tape that would probably follow,...I'd say a camera on a string is cheaper...ofcourse thinking outside the box is what gives people an edge.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how about we catch dolphins,strap a critter cam and GPS on them an let them go,we see what they see.we let them find the wrecks.we see where they go an hide thier gold and silver.any other non related footage we get we sell it to NOAA or anyone else to fund the project.i have lots of high res color an b/w cams and underwater stainless steel houseings to start the project.even cams on pelicans or seagulls for those high up over the water videos.

Attachments

• preview_image.jpg
    preview_image.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 192

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may help your creativity issues.

Attachments

• bluetutei9.jpg
    bluetutei9.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 203

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
dang, that was a sweet hookah, not to be confused with a Brownies Third Lung Hookah for sure!

;D

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Forget the dolphins. just get a couple Rhesus monkeys and they could do all your research for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread