This is a weird one...Can anybody Identify this???

theGOLD

Dec 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher 8x
Okay, if anybody can figure out what this is, I will be impressed. I have posted some pictures of it here. The crustation is similar to items Ive seen before on some late 18th-early 19th century items around here. I honestly cant figure out if it is modern and spawned some sort of freak accelerated crustation, or if it is actually an old item. From handling it and removing the crustation, I do think it is probably is old. I still cant figure out what the hell it is though. Unfortuneately there really isnt much else to go on. It was found in the same area that a large early 18th century spanish anchor was found. Nothing else to really suggest they are connected. It appears to be made of cast iron. In any case, enjoy and have at it ;D:

-theGOLD

Attachments

• P1000733.JPG
    P1000733.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 619
  • P1000734.JPG
    P1000734.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 640
  • P1000736.JPG
    P1000736.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 623
  • P1000738.JPG
    P1000738.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 623

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some kind of trawl winch linkage or part of a winch brake, or an old manual transmission linkage. I do not know??? My guess is its not related to your anchor.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's a busted connecting rod from a Detroit Deisel engine. That's why the archaeologists don't want you amateurs fooling with their historic wrecks!

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
salvor 6 said:
That's why the archaeologists don't want you amateurs fooling with their historic wrecks!

;D ;D ;D

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a heavy duty four wheel drive shift lever.

Merry Christmas,

Mike

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sure does like a gear shifter, the connecting rod thing would slide a gear in and out. I would also say, it is not 1800s.

GorskiDvr

Oct 11, 2006
Houston Tx
Take it to the local marine diesel parts counter & show the guy the part # in that picture , see if he has a new one ................. ;D
Good parts counter guys will be able to tell the brand by the part number sequence & probably be able to tell you what it is . If the stars & planets are alighned just right he will be able to put that PN in his little computer/catalog & pull a new/used one out of his warehouse to show you.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
To me the last number is a 1. Do you think you have a match?

GorskiDvr

Oct 11, 2006
Houston Tx
:P No not yet . different pieces from those pics he posted look like alot of thing sput together ..... Like pic 2 there is what apears to be a connecting rod minus the wrist pin . The rest of the little assembly does not look like part of the rotating engine assembly.
Still looking ....... but not today ........... ;D

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The thing that looks like a connecting rod, is a gear shifter. It slides the gears in and out of alignment with another one. The rounded out part rides on the shaft and the part that looks like it should have the bolts for a connecting rod, have rounded things that push the gear along the shaft.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It also looks like there is yellow paint on it. It may be a gear shift for a Caterpiller, but what I dont know. Maybe a PTO for a winch on shrimp boat or cargo boat. Could be a transmission shifter linkage, but it looks pretty big, but it could be. Thegold, see if that yellow paint will flake off. That should at least tell it was a Caterpiller part. Then maybe with the numbers and pictures a Caterpiller dealers parts room microfisch could tell what it is.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, I know. But he was looking for treasure and found something. Looks like a shifter and a shift fork for very heavy transmission. Probably hooked up to a Caterpiller engine. Kind of like those iron flakes over on the Treasure Coast, from those iron shipwrecks, and they look like encrusted cobs. They get your heart racing, but once you clean them up you realize its nothing. Same here. Comes with experience, to recognize period proper parts ;D, I used to be a marine diesel mechanic, and have handled those. Plus been on many wrecks, that you go over for a while till you figure its nothing good. Now lets find some treasure!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There is a catagory on Treasure Net called "What is it." Maybe this thread should be moved there.

OP
OP
theGOLD

theGOLD

Dec 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher 8x
Sorry about that, I didnt see that one. I will make sure to put these kinds of threads into that other cat. There is no paint at all on it. There is some discoloration/rust from the short period that it was exposed after the encrustation was removed. Again, sorry about that Cornelius.

Hope everybody had a verry merry christmas...

Thanks

-theGOLD

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it not also a good exercise in research trying to identify unknown objects recovered from the oceans bottom, irregardless if it is modern junk or an artifact from days long gone by? Since he did not know what it was, it could have very well been part of an old sidewheel steamer from the civil war. Nope! looks to modern, I'll just toss it out with the trash, and not even ask the question because someone may think it a stupid question.
Let's not be so hasty, as to dis someone for asking the question. This forum is the perfect place to ask the question, as it was found underwater searching for a shipwreck.

Tom

GorskiDvr

Oct 11, 2006
Houston Tx
Wow , That pretty much sums up the way I felt .............. but I'm a guest here so I tend to stay quiet. :-X
I could'nt have said it better Wreckdiver1715 .................

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree. Never be afraid to ask a question. Same thing happened to me when I tried posting a question here in the shipweck section. Even though someone may contribute much to this forum, they do not OWN the shipwreck section. Wreckdiver is the moderator. If he says its OK to ask questions, then its OK.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread