Spanish treasure galleons lost in the Carolinas ?---Poppycock

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocracoke 1.png Ocracoke 2.png Ocracoke 3.png Ocracoke 4.png

From the New York Weekly Gazette, Nov-Dec, 1750 and the Pennsylvania Gazette, April, 1751

I realize the story of the 1750 fleet is fairly well known, but I love original sources...

I guess the Spanish treasure fleets sometimes strayed a little north of Cape Canaveral...LOL...

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
The plate fleets used the Gulf Stream off the east coast to head north before heading east to Spain and I'm sure a number ended going further than anticipated before heading east due to weather or whatever circumstances.

The Queen Anne's Revenge probably wouldn't have been found if not for my late friend Phil Masters crew finding it under his search lease for the 1750 wreck of the El Salvador. Believe Oddysey has worked a deal with his old company Intersal to find the El Salvador now.

Here's a neat article on the 1750 wrecks from that year:
December 6, 1750
Edinburgh Evening Courant
Edinton in North Carolina, Sept. 20. The following is an Account of five Ships of the Spanish Flota, which were drove on Shore on this Coast, by a great Storm, on the 18th of August 1750.—One at a Currituck Inlet, stove to Pieces, the Crew and Passengers saved, who went to Norfolk in Virginia without stopping in Carolina.—One at Cape Hatteras, sunk in 14 Foot Water, the Name of the Ship, its Dimensions and Loading unknown.—A Dutch built Ship at Ocacock, lost her Rudder, and had her Masts broke short; all her Crew safe: Her Cargo consists of 400,000 Pieces of Eight, besides a great Quantity of Cochineal and Hides.—At Drum Inlet, a Ship which has lost her Rigging and Masts, named the Neustra Signiora Desolidad; the Cargoe reckoned worth 32,000 Pieces of Eight, besides the Ship. The Officers and Men, who came ashore, have taken a Passage for themselves and Cargoe to New England, from whence they design to proceed to Cadiz.—Near Topsail Inlet, a Vessel named El Salvador, or El Henrico, was stove to Pieces, and is seven or eight Feet in Sand; four of her Crew only saved. Her Loading consisted of 240,000 Pieces of Eight registred, besides what was on a private Account. She had likewise on Board a large Quantity of Cocoa and Cochineal, and some Balsam.—This Account was given to Gabriel Johnston, Esq; Governor of North Carolina, by Don Joseph de Respral Deza, Part Owner and Supercargoe of the Neustra Signiora Desolidad, who at the same Time, complained to the Governor of the Master and Crew of a Bermudas Sloop, that had taken Possession of the Sails and Part of the Rigging, which had come on Shore from the Wreck of the El Salvador; and the said Supercargoe verily believes has got Possession of some Chests of Money. Upon which the Governor immediately issued his Orders for the apprehending the said Mr. and Crew, and securing their Sloop. The Ship at Ocacock has unloaded her Treasure and Cargoe on Ocacock Island. Several little Vessels are gone down to barter with them for Provisions. They have not as yet met with any Molestation, nor made any Application to the Governor.

OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plate fleets used the Gulf Stream off the east coast to head north before heading east to Spain and I'm sure a number ended going further than anticipated before heading east due to weather or whatever circumstances.

The Queen Anne's Revenge probably wouldn't have been found if not for my late friend Phil Masters crew finding it under his search lease for the 1750 wreck of the El Salvador. Believe Oddysey has worked a deal with his old company Intersal to find the El Salvador now.

Here's a neat article on the 1750 wrecks from that year:
December 6, 1750
Edinburgh Evening Courant
Edinton in North Carolina, Sept. 20. The following is an Account of five Ships of the Spanish Flota, which were drove on Shore on this Coast, by a great Storm, on the 18th of August 1750.—One at a Currituck Inlet, stove to Pieces, the Crew and Passengers saved, who went to Norfolk in Virginia without stopping in Carolina.—One at Cape Hatteras, sunk in 14 Foot Water, the Name of the Ship, its Dimensions and Loading unknown.—A Dutch built Ship at Ocacock, lost her Rudder, and had her Masts broke short; all her Crew safe: Her Cargo consists of 400,000 Pieces of Eight, besides a great Quantity of Cochineal and Hides.—At Drum Inlet, a Ship which has lost her Rigging and Masts, named the Neustra Signiora Desolidad; the Cargoe reckoned worth 32,000 Pieces of Eight, besides the Ship. The Officers and Men, who came ashore, have taken a Passage for themselves and Cargoe to New England, from whence they design to proceed to Cadiz.—Near Topsail Inlet, a Vessel named El Salvador, or El Henrico, was stove to Pieces, and is seven or eight Feet in Sand; four of her Crew only saved. Her Loading consisted of 240,000 Pieces of Eight registred, besides what was on a private Account. She had likewise on Board a large Quantity of Cocoa and Cochineal, and some Balsam.—This Account was given to Gabriel Johnston, Esq; Governor of North Carolina, by Don Joseph de Respral Deza, Part Owner and Supercargoe of the Neustra Signiora Desolidad, who at the same Time, complained to the Governor of the Master and Crew of a Bermudas Sloop, that had taken Possession of the Sails and Part of the Rigging, which had come on Shore from the Wreck of the El Salvador; and the said Supercargoe verily believes has got Possession of some Chests of Money. Upon which the Governor immediately issued his Orders for the apprehending the said Mr. and Crew, and securing their Sloop. The Ship at Ocacock has unloaded her Treasure and Cargoe on Ocacock Island. Several little Vessels are gone down to barter with them for Provisions. They have not as yet met with any Molestation, nor made any Application to the Governor.

Great stuff ! Boy, wouldn't it be something if Odyssey found one of these...I wonder how much of a legal row would ensue?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread