Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Suggestion: Google 'Wayne Neely'; he has written several books on the history of Bahamian hurricanes.
Edit:
BTW, the earliest hurricane report in the New World came from Christopher Columbus, who encountered a tropical storm on his 1495 one of his voyage near Hispaniola.. He later declared that "nothing but the service of God and the extension of the monarchy'' would induce him to expose himself to such danger . You could start your review from that date.

Don.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Huntuntilidie

Huntuntilidie

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am trying to identify a wreck I'm guessing struck a reef at low tide during a huricane than drifted off and sank about a quarter mile off shore. The biggest problem is that there appears to be two wrecks. The one is steel but I found so piles that of ballets stone or so I believe. Just trying to do my research to see if my hunch is right.

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
This is probably your best bet but hard to find: Hurricanes of the Caribbean & Adjacent Regions 1492-1800, by Jose Millas, 1968

OP
OP
Huntuntilidie

Huntuntilidie

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you for the info bought all the books they were great off to see if I can identify what two wrecks are down there one I no is out of the 1920s or 1930s the other is much older due to the fact the only thing lefts is some stones

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
When I worked for the National Weather Service in Key West, we had several books on Hurricanes which also contained excerpts from Ship's Logs written by the Captains of Spanish Galleons. This book or the actual Logs if translated to English or existing books with this information are a must when researching Hurricanes from 1500's through the 1700's.

Frank

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Several years ago, when we had found a wreck in the Bahamas and were attempting to ID it (Brig 'Baltic', lost in hurricane of 1866, bound from NYC to Galveston) , I went to the library in Nassau and they had two large books that contained information of all their hurricanes. You may wish to inquire if they still have those reference books, get their titles and obtain a copy through some means.
Don.....

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Several years ago, when we had found a wreck in the Bahamas and were attempting to ID it (Brig 'Baltic', lost in hurricane of 1866, bound from NYC to Galveston) , I went to the library in Nassau and they had two large books that contained information of all their hurricanes. You may wish to inquire if they still have those reference books, get their titles and obtain a copy through some means.
Don.....

I think the S.. R.... Vessel salvaged the Baltic way back when. Tim Turnbull ( you can contact him through Small Hope Bay Lodge Andros) has mapped every hurricane that ever hit the Bahamas since records began in the 1800's.
Good luck. PM me for his details if you get no joy thru SHBL
Kevin

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kevin,
My vessel, the R/V Explorer, was the first salvage vessel on the site. I was in partnership with Nick M. (the permit holder) and George M of the islands. I ID-ed the vessel from a timber that was floating to the surface while we were salvaging. On the timber were the words 'Brig Baltic, Galveston'. The research I did in Nassau, proved the ID of the vessel, it's owner, insured value of its contents--and destination. All or part of Nick's division eventually made it to the museum.
Don....

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kevin,
My vessel, the R/V Explorer, was the first salvage vessel on the site. I was in partnership with Nick M. (the permit holder) and George M of the islands. I ID-ed the vessel from a timber that was floating to the surface while we were salvaging. On the timber were the words 'Brig Baltic, Galveston'. The research I did in Nassau, proved the ID of the vessel, it's owner, insured value of its contents--and destination. All or part of Nick's division eventually made it to the museum.
Don....

Thanks Don,
Maybe George's sea robin vessel came later ( i loose time as I get older..) Nick lives a couple of miles north of me here, may I give him your best when I see him next.....good job on the Baltic a well recovered site

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kevin,
Please do give him and his wife my best; and tell him I hope he has found many more wrecks since the "Brig Baltic". I retain great memories of Spanish Wells and that adventure.
Don....

Will do, I know he is still looking around and about for this and that.....

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin: have you heard anything about Bahamas starting to give permits?

Thanks,

WHYDAH Diver

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kevin: have you heard anything about Bahamas starting to give permits?

Thanks,

WHYDAH Diver

Not a thing, I reckon the fear of ,,,,,,, has been put into anyone with a chance of a permit and the wheels are grinding slowly.
The only suggestion I can make is a few phone calls to people you know who would know. You might want to send Bahama Mike a PM to ask his guidance. Sorry I can't be more helpful😞

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread