SW Florida Schooner Wreck?

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I know the general location of a sunk schooner on the west coast of Florida. First found mention of it while researching at the archives in DC. I am not aware if mag work was done in the area in the past or do not know if any salvage work occured in the same area. The wreck was connected to an event that occured on shore. I searched the shore area intermittently over a 30-year period. Fourteen years ago, I found the location of the event that occured on shore, thus giving me the general location of the wreck offshore. I don't believe the area of the wreck is too deep. However, visibility may be questionable due to the nutrients that wash into the ocean from the nearby mangroves and everglades. My future plans are to go back to the site and rig an underwater video camera to serve as my eyes. I have never seen anyone swim or dive in the area before but have heard the currents can get strong. Does anyone have a list of SW Fla. Wrecks. If you do, this one is probably on it.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I explored an old Schooner wreck in the vicinity of Bonita Beach several years ago. It was a mag target I was investigating with another group. Jim Whitaker did the survey for Historic Maritime Survey, the owner was the late Mark Fleckenstien. Mad4Wrecks might have the data from that survey, I never got a copy of it but he may have. He wasn't on the boat the day we found the schooner, nor was our archaeologist. I have some horrible video of the wreck somewhere, will see if i can locate it.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was going to recommend he contact you Jason. I knew you looked at that wreck. I remember the video and it looked pretty whole.

OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
I explored an old Schooner wreck in the vicinity of Bonita Beach several years ago. It was a mag target I was investigating with another group. Jim Whitaker did the survey for Historic Maritime Survey, the owner was the late Mark Fleckenstien. Mad4Wrecks might have the data from that survey, I never got a copy of it but he may have. He wasn't on the boat the day we foun,d the schooner, nor was our archaeologist. I have some horrible video of the wreck somewhere, will see if i can locate it.

The wreck you describe is not the one I am researching, but thanks for bringing it to my attention. Still wondering if a shipwreck list exists for SW Florida and can be made available on this forum.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jason, I recently gave all the Bonita Springs mag data to very deserving mutual friends of ours. I wish them success. We did dive on that schooner wreck at a later date and I remember Westrick finding a large, copper pot that we left behind. Wish I had the exact coordinates for it. I am sure it is one of the mag hits listed. Tom

Last edited:

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Glad to hear that Tom. I found my pics and video from that project...the video was horrible, but the pic of you holding up the "Professional Shipwreck Buoy System" is my favorite. :D These should bring back some memories, sorry to hijack your thread SD. I'll post the video of that wreck in a few.

Attachments

• DSCN3832.JPG
    DSCN3832.JPG
    483.4 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCN3837.JPG
    DSCN3837.JPG
    534.7 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN3844.JPG
    DSCN3844.JPG
    542.1 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN3838.JPG
    DSCN3838.JPG
    549 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCN3836.JPG
    DSCN3836.JPG
    539.1 KB · Views: 234

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here is one of the videos (these were the first vids with a new camera, and they suck). Tom, we actually found two schooners over there:

This wreck you and I dove July 22-24, 2007. The other video I was thinking about is a completely different wreck, it had 3 masts laying across it and a modern generator had been dumped right onto the wreckage. Jeff and I dove it September 25th 2007. I think it was further south near Marco Island.

Sorry about the squeaky regulator in the video, that started on the first dive that day and it was difficult to breathe through all day...not to mention annoying. :-)

Last edited:

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here is a clip of the other wreck, this one south of Naples near Marco Island I think. Southern Digger, I think Rob Westrick will give us a list of Southwest Florida wrecksites if we ask him real nice. :-)

OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice post/nice videos. Appears both wrecks were shallow (less than 40-ft depth). SD

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yep, first one was about 25 feet deep and the 2nd was 15-20, sorry my info didn't help. Good luck!

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nah, that Greek dude Quadra was diving with us, I think he is G.I.B.'s buddy.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
O.K. guys knock it off. I'm gonna call G.I.B. tomorrow and schedule a time to meet at O Malleys for a beer and get my mask back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread