More Side scan pics

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Yeah, that scan can be pretty decieving! Brad's unit works great. You wouldn't know how dirty the water is from such a clear scan.

This wreck is about 1/2 mile off the beach and appearently has been snagged a few times by trawlers. It isn't marked on navigational charts, but is a pretty significant wreck.

I think it would be a cool dive, but you need to be very cautious while exploring!

Robert

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Robert,

The scan is really clean looking shows a great amount of detail eventhough the water clarity is murky. Most of the diving here in the parts of the Great Lakes that I dive in, is of the same quality, we mainly find our items by feel even though the sun is out or we're using a spot lite.

As for the cautions regarding this dive site, are they mainly due to the possibility of being snagged in the nets or are you referring to not being able to see the things that might bump you in the dark aka sharks in the area? Either way, this looks like another fine dive site. Also, do you allow others to join you on you wreck dives? I'm just ask as I've noticed a few other divers posting here with an open invitation to their dive sites - let me know eitherway.

DandyDon

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I am always up for a dive partner. If you are ever down this way, look me up or email, pm, whatever.

The sharks don't bother me, the shrimp nets do! OH, and the sea urchins!

Robert

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
David, I feel the same way. But as close to shore as the wreck is, I am sure some attempt was made to recover some of the cargo. Where did you get the info on it being burned immediately?

This would make an excellent research project! It would also make good reading for a future book since this wreck is not even mentioned in any that I have read. Darren and Dave, since you are in the area, maybe you guys could find some information on her. Obviously someone has done some research over the years and there has to be some documents as to her sinking.

Robert

privateer

Dec 4, 2006
Paquiwock
Detector(s) used
6 senses
The Vesta-a steamer-was wrecked near the nc sc line at tubbs inlet-1-11-1864-don't know if this is the wreck you referring to but there is a lot of information on it in a lot of differant books-lee spence -treasures of the confederate coast-has an account of its stranding and lost, if you are looking for info.

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
After being on this wreck I know it's far into NC waters. North Carolina will NOT let you take any artifacts from the wreck. This wreck is fun to look at, but you sure don't want to get caught with your hand in the cookie jar.
xXx

OP
OP
ScubaDude

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update:
Looks like this is not the Vesta after all, further research is hinting that this is most likely the wreck of the Tennessee that burned and sank in 1870. I'm working with the NC Underwater Archaeology Branch to further determine what this is. This is also a new find for their records as well. We'll keep you posted......

DandyDon

Sep 22, 2005
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Brad,

Kudos on the find, however does this mean that you won't be able to explore this wreck site, since it is a New ;D Find. I'm only asking as I know other Arch folks that place a "Off Limits" notice to all divers when they make a finding such as yours. Do you think the NC Underwater Archaeology will pull something like this with your finding or do you think you'll be able to dive this in the near future.

I'm only asking as I too would like to visit you sometime this summer, right now I'm scheduled to visit Scott in June for his dive effort in Jupiter and may try to swing up your way if we have enough time.

Pls let me know what the out come is for this site and we will go from there.

Don

OP
OP
ScubaDude

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, we are free to dive it, and we'll hopefully be involved in confirming that it is in fact the Tennessee. I may be totally wrong on this but, they can't really put it or any other wreck off limits per se: the only one I'm aware of that has this status is the HMS Fowey south of Key Biscayne. What they typically do is have them placed on the national register of historic places, long story short you can look but don't touch. Technically this is the law in most all state waters already, the wrecks and artifacts are the historic cultural property of the state. I think some in the archaeological community like people to believe that they are off limits. I don't believe their intent is malicious, its just that people like to remove souvenirs, plain and simple. Every article taken is one less potential clue as to what really occurred, and one less glimpse back in time. Personally I would rather see the artifacts properly handled and conserved, and then displayed in a museum for all to enjoy instead of disintegrating into rust in someones garage.

This site is not going to be a picturesque wreck, it is badly corroded and falling apart, visability will likely only be a few feet at best, and it has a fair amount of nets snagged on it.

OP
OP
ScubaDude

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, two different boats. This one was originally the USS Muscoota and was built during the civil war, and was renamed the Tennessee after the war.

Attachments

• h63894.jpg
    h63894.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 200

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions