Boiler Fire Door or Hotshot Furnace Door Info needed

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
My partner and I found a very encrusted iron door of some sort that is approximately 2 feet wide and 1 foot high. On one end are two horizontally oriented iron "loops" that I would assume to be used in conjunction with a hinge-pin to fasten to whatever device it is for. On the other end, there is one large semi-circular handle. I will try to have a photo up for it soon. The door weighs approximately 20 lbs. and it was lying beside the "TP" wreck that is shown in my gallery. The visibility on our dive was literally zero and my partner only found it by using his u/w metal detector and reaching down about a foot into the mud.

I did some searches on Google for some example photos of this type of door but came up short. We are still very uncertain about the period of this wreck but are fairly certain it is at least from the 19th century. If anyone may have some information please let me know.

Thanks Pcolaboy

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
He man, looking forward to the picts. I had no longer posted a message under the other post saying where are the picts of the door when I saw this! ::) ::)

Robert in SC

privateer

Dec 4, 2006
Paquiwock
Detector(s) used
6 senses
Don't know the size of your wreck-but a lot of the boiler doors we find are larger and generally have a brass id tag on them-the cinder gates-clean outs -are smaller.Just depends on size of vessel-some even have smaller boilers in addition to the main.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread