Value of an Anchor - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Value of an Anchor

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Feb 2007

Re: Value of an Anchor

Let me check my closet..hang 5!

Jun 2005
    6 times

The value of an artifact is directly related to the amount of accurate data available about the item. Sometimes called, provenience, other times called pedigree.
    Without the paperwork a dog is just a mutt. With the papers the dog has lineage and pedigree and is worth a lot more.
    The more you can document.... the more paper you can produce from experts,( not just your opinions.) in the field of colonial anchors in the new world, the more bucks you can command. Location data is great but assumption, as to origin, is just speculation and has little value.
    All the authentic 17th. century Spanish colonial anchors that I have seen all had sharp pointed flukes.( about thirty anchors.) The anchors from other, non Spanish sites ( about sixty.) had palm shaped flukes like yours.
    That is, until you get to the mid to late 18th. century, then the Spanish seemed to adopt the palm shaped flukes. Some of those anchors were possibly purchases, swaps, or salvaged.
    I think you need to do more research on the origin of your anchor, in order to get that price up there where it is worthwhile to recover, preserve and properly document this artifact, then sell it to someone who can appreciate it's unique history and pedigree.
    Best of luck.
    Splash,
    Donovan

Oct 2006
    4 times

Of course at a glance all of those anchors look alike but from the angle of the ring, the flukes, and the amount of growth on it, it sure looks like one I dove on around 8 years ago. I have some pictures of it at home somewhere but they are not digital. I showed it to someone who then showed it to someone and then shortly afterward I couldnít find it and I always thought someone removed it but hoped it was just covered with sand. The one Iím talking about was in only around 12í of water, sitting jut outside of the reef on the sand off of Palm Beach County and pointed out to sea to the SE. I sure hope you did a good job of preserving it because I would have much rather it would have been left where it was for everyone to enjoy and not rot in someones backyard.
    Bum Luck likes this.

Sep 2019
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0850.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	1751409. I have this anchor have not much info about it exc tht it was found out n the Atlantic off va nc. Any thing you can off will be helpful. I have no idea where to look
    GaRebel1861 and A2coins like this.

us
    Apr 2004
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
    1339 times
    Shipwrecks
    Interesting, Nyse. You found it? Or did you get it from someone who did? It needs to be thrown in a pond or some water asap, lest it deteriorate quickly.
    A2coins likes this.

br
    Jul 2018
    535 times
    Lesson 1.
    a. As Darren noted, get it in fresh water.
    b. Start a new thread.

Lesson 2 . How to reduce the value of an artefact:
    Here is a shot of it right after we painted it.
    Last edited by xaos; Sep 11, 2019 at 07:39 PM.
    A2coins likes this.
    I love the taste of water, frozen into squares, and surrounded by rum

pt
    Oct 2009
    Lisbon
    208 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    a fully preserved 1600's spanish anchor.
    How do you know that?
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2015
    Wisconsin, N.C. Fl....wherever the wrecks take me
    Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube
    865 times
    Shipwrecks
    Very interesting!! I do some work off the Carolina's and Va coasts...would love to learn more about this find if your willing to discuss it...

ag
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    30905 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That's pretty cool would be hard to move lol

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.

(Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

br
    Jul 2018
    535 times
    When hurricanes roll through, is it 'resurrect old threads" call to arms?

Karen just rolled over the island...

Glad Lorenzo is heading north, that looks like a big one.....
    I love the taste of water, frozen into squares, and surrounded by rum

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    930 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkid4 View Post
    Of course at a glance all of those anchors look alike but from the angle of the ring, the flukes, and the amount of growth on it, it sure looks like one I dove on around 8 years ago. I have some pictures of it at home somewhere but they are not digital. I showed it to someone who then showed it to someone and then shortly afterward I couldn’t find it and I always thought someone removed it but hoped it was just covered with sand. The one I’m talking about was in only around 12’ of water, sitting jut outside of the reef on the sand off of Palm Beach County and pointed out to sea to the SE. I sure hope you did a good job of preserving it because I would have much rather it would have been left where it was for everyone to enjoy and not rot in someones backyard.
    I pulled up some stuff when younger, and learned that mom would always throw it out of the garage. When you grew up, wife would take on that duty.

Got to have a plan, and think it through carefully. Good preservation costs money and time.

Lots of iron cannon disentegrated into rust over the years.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ó Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    3389 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    often the real value of a ships anchor is in helping to find where a shipwreck site is ...in bad weather anchors are often let go to keep a ship off the rocks and reefs ..as the storm pushes the ship the anchor will bite in and its eye will point in the direction in which its being pushed --once you find a anchor on the bottom looking in the direction the eye is pointing can often lead to the wreck on nearby reefs or rccks or shallow water area
    Last edited by ivan salis; Oct 16, 2019 at 05:43 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links