Shipwrecks of Cape Canaveral

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Also in consideration--how far is that from Titusville and other populated communities?

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also in consideration--how far is that from Titusville and other populated communities?
Its only a few miles to Oak Hill and about 10 from Titusville. Just a few from Scotsmoore.

Treasurecoast1715

Jul 3, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all have got me interested, it's on my list to order!!

E

elle

I completely enjoyed Terry’s newest work about the Cape area. Full of information and the bits of humor thrown
in had me laughing out loud quite a few times. This is one of the best newly published books on treasure salvage!

Laura
J

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1000's of years of history right in that area.
If his book ties together the pre-historic and historic including the time of contact between the two .. I'm really going to have to get that.

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I just finished reading the book I just received it the other day (couldn't put it down)! Amazingly put together with much of information. Once again my government disappointed me, it truly is amazing what has happened in Canaveral over the years, I wish Mr. Andrews could have finished what he started! Thanks for the great read, hope to meet up with you and get you to sign it one of these days and also maybe sit over a few beers and hear more of your stories from back in the good old days of being a THunter!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cape sure holds much potential, as important archaeological area, no doubt an understatement.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does GME still have only the exploration permit? I was thinking they had recently got the salvage permit also.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! It's kind of interesting, I tried using this one online mapping program for topo maps, using GE pin coordinates over water. On the topo mapping program, one click on the W navigation arrow put me right on shoreline and there was Klondike beach...so simple. Topo maps have everything well labeled, neat to look at and compare.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been reading WOTB and this thread and thought I'd GE the area. Could it be Atlantis?? I'm sure its a photographic overlay anomaly, but
the rectangular shapes at 28°27'36.58"N 80°30'31.31"W

got my attention. Can someone comment please?

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll get you a GE map in a moment. You're probably looking at an underwater shoals, follow it up NE a ways.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a Hetzel Shoals Buoy shown in GE. I was going to check the nautical charts to see what the bottom there looks like.

I'm adding a topo with your coords (red pin) and to the right you see a 12 ft contour line. Looks to me it would have been a certain death trap for the old sailing ships.

Those long dark squiggly areas, you see here in GE, I first thought probably are shadows. As it turns out these really seem to be ocean surface reflections. GE has a slider for viewing shadow effects, during different times of the day.

Shipwrecks will cast a shadow in GE also, but need to zoom in more than the maps I've posted. For good shadows, save your maps, then give them about -6 brightness and +12 contrast. Using historical view is good to find better images for the area you are working with, some years were much closer and higher resolution. Adding your coords in GE historical view.

I just was messing around in GE on the shoreline, looking through the map years. Found a circular anomaly up a short distance from the beach, best map year for that spot.

Attachments

• HetzelShoalsBuoy.jpg
    HetzelShoalsBuoy.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 212
  • SCapeCanaveral-topo.jpg
    SCapeCanaveral-topo.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 174
  • SCapeCanaveral2.jpg
    SCapeCanaveral2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 256
  • SCapeCanaveral(zoom).jpg
    SCapeCanaveral(zoom).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 116
  • CNS_shoreline(zoom)3.jpg
    CNS_shoreline(zoom)3.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Does GME still have only the exploration permit? I was thinking they had recently got the salvage permit also.

GME has several Exploration permits with Dig and Identify addendums, but none have been converted to Salvage leases yet. The anchor referenced earlier points to a large anomaly field that we are very excited to explore next spring.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say there certainly should be, some large anomaly field like that for exploration. No doubt this will be very interesting to follow their progress.

Still amazed sometimes what can show up in CNS, simply browsing the shoreline. Get the right weather conditions with a good location, on a historical map image. Next, I tried searching the map date for Florida storm activity. It would be hard to know if that is hurricane debris or a shipwreck uncovered by storm surge. Being on the fringe area of the CNS shipwrecks, someone would need to check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Atlantic_hurricane_season

"The 2005 Atlantic hurricane season was the most active
Atlantic hurricane season in recorded history, shattering numerous records. The impact of the season was widespread and ruinous with an estimated 3,913 deaths and record damage of about $159.2 billion. Of the storms that made landfall, five of the season's seven major hurricanes"

Attachments

• Beachanomaly.jpg
    Beachanomaly.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's just a process; Salvage permits cannot be awarded until you have pinpointed the main pile of the wreck. We survey the area, dive the targets and follow the trail. Once we locate the main wreckage, then of course we will convert that area into a salvage agreement. There is no reason to even apply for a salvage permit until you follow the trail to the main wreckage. Until you've done that you do not know the prime spot to center your salvage lease on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread