Spanish Galleons sunk off Venezuela

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

gus

Oct 15, 2004
Marx in Shipwrecks of the Americas has a list of reported ships lost off Venezuela. Not sure if the book is still in print but likely as not you could locate it on Ebay. Offhand that would be where to start.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Uh, you picked the wrong historian to refer Tony too! Trust me. lol

Curious how well you will get approval to work off Venezuela. Chavez is a nut.

E

elle

:) ... Hi...it's a hard one this time...maybe the Central Unv. of Venezuala? ...
I did find a very unique rare book though, first-hand account by a Captain Felipe Esteves,
detailing the maritime conditions in Venezuela. It's from 1826...but maybe there's documented
high sea history in reference to the galleons.
Crab ;)

OP
OP
bronzecannons

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
gus said:
Marx in Shipwrecks of the Americas has a list of reported ships lost off Venezuela. Not sure if the book is still in print but likely as not you could locate it on Ebay. Offhand that would be where to start.

Gus,
I had forgotten about it but, yes, I do have that book by Marx. Had a brief look at it last night. Thanks for the reminder.
Tony

OP
OP
bronzecannons

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
gdaddyflex said:
Uh, you picked the wrong historian to refer Tony too! Trust me. lol

Curious how well you will get approval to work off Venezuela. Chavez is a nut.

Gdaddyflex,

Nice to know we still all have a good sense of humor here. I got a kick out of what you wrote. lol

I don't want to get into any 'anti Marx' postings here or back to the old story as to whether we actually found the infamous 'Flor do Mar' or not cause I've had enough of that nonsense. I do have a couple of his books and am reviewing them now regarding this topic.

Have a good one guys.
Tony

Divemaster007

Aug 20, 2012
Hi Tony,

try this website Worldwide Shipwreck Database this may help, you need to purchase the info, but it's about $10, I have never purchased anything from them, just to give you the heads up, again I came across this site, hope it helps.

Joseph

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Your local library may have John S. Potter, Jr's book entitled "The Treasure Diver's Guide" (revised edition-1971). Venezuelan wrecks are noted on pages 139 through 145 inclusively.
Also, ask your 'friend' what makes him think the wreck is Spanish? Did he find coins? If so, what date(s)? Did he find cannon(s)? If so, bronze or iron? What pics can he give you (and us) to substantiate his find?
Don.....

Last edited:

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Gentlemen this thread is 7 years old

NOT ANYMORE...

Besides seven years can be a good thing... that Spanish wreck that sank in 1613 is now "over four hundred years old" whereas at the time of the original post was only a "mere 395" sounds so much more sexy...

There is a considerable amount of good information out there regarding the 1678 French fleet.

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
NOT ANYMORE...

Besides seven years can be a good thing... that Spanish wreck that sank in 1613 is now "over four hundred years old" whereas at the time of the original post was only a "mere 395" sounds so much more sexy...

There is a considerable amount of good information out there regarding the 1678 French fleet.

That is very true

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread