Anyone ever seen one of these from the 1715 Fleet?

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a beach recovery from the Cabin Wreck area and was well encrusted when I found it but I conserved and weighed it and it is currently 87.7 grams... It is obviously a lead scale weight and has a Castilian castle stamp on it... Any comments or info about similar finds or input on what the significance of the castle stamp was would be appreciated... Phips

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    582.5 KB · Views: 278
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 254

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very, very good find.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks LM...

Man, I was kinda' hoping for some great input or comments on this find... Rather surprised at the lack of responses or interest... Beginning to think its not worth posting on here anymore... Anybody out there?

I know it's not as exciting as 48 gold coins guys but personally I think the unique one of a kind finds like this are much more interesting... After a while, a coin is a coin is a coin... Don't get me wrong, the coin finds are great, but nothing new... Guess that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Jeanne

Jun 15, 2013
SW Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX750
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic find! I wish Idaho had a beach.....:dontknow:

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeanne... Well you never know, with the way this planets weather patterns have changed and with all the crazy natural "groaning" going on within our planet, you may have a beach one day soon... :weather_lightning: Hehehe...

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Thanks LM...

Man, I was kinda' hoping for some great input or comments on this find... Rather surprised at the lack of responses or interest... Beginning to think its not worth posting on here anymore... Anybody out there?

I know it's not as exciting as 48 gold coins guys but personally I think the unique one of a kind finds like this are much more interesting... After a while, a coin is a coin is a coin... Don't get me wrong, the coin finds are great, but nothing new... Guess that's just my opinion.
Philpsfolly, Some of us don't dive the 1715 area . I thinks it's a Great Find, but I have never found anything like it to compare it to.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Mike,

Nice Find! We found a complete set of that style weight in the DR. The ones we found are bronze but they are similar in design and even have the weights stamped on them. I didn't post pics because it was far from an "apples to apples" comparison. I'm with you, seems to be awfully dead around here.

Jason

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here are the pics for comparison, these are much smaller than your example. The largest one (stamped with an x) is only slightly larger in diameter than a quarter. These will be up for auction at Sedwick's Treasure and World Coin Auction 14 in Orlando this October.

Attachments

• DSCN2820.JPG
    DSCN2820.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCN2826.JPG
    DSCN2826.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

trsrseeker

May 10, 2011
FL / NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field, Excaliber 11, Sovereign, CTX 3030
Nice find again - give it a couple of days I am sure you will receive some responses from the 1715 salvors.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh... It's alive! :laughing7:

Oh sure Jas... show me up with a full set of bronze ones... :tongue3: That weight set is awesome! The photo is a bit fuzzy on my iPhone... (Or maybe its just me...) Are those castles stamped on the weights? I can see the X on the largest one. I will definately check those out in the auction. (I was finally able to zoom them in and see the details on your set... Sweet! Just curious if anyone else has found any from the 1715 Fleet like this)...

Wondering what the significance of the castle stamp is... Designates the weight as meeting the royal standards of measure?

Last edited:

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Show you up? I'm trying to CATCH up. :-P

Yep, there are castles in the centers of the weights, those were pretty worn and much of the detail is gone. I always assumed the castle meant they were officially checked or certified or something as well. All of our nested weight sets from the Punta Cana wreck had castles stamped in the bottom (first picture), and another symbol stamped on each weight. The other symbol is known but I can't recall all of the letters at the moment. It's a bit jumbled (2nd pic) but it has more than 4 letters even though it appears to be 4. I can't for the life of me recall the word or its meaning. It will likely come to me about the time I hit "Submit Reply". :-)

Attachments

• DSCN3038.JPG
    DSCN3038.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN3037.JPG
    DSCN3037.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting those Jas... 'preciate that. Man, must get over to the DR someday just to soak up the history and culture... and it's great to see that there are active salvage groups working the sites there... Love the early wrecks as you really never know what will come up next...

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
It seems like you have some kind of weight, but it falls into an area in weight that is not equal to coin weights or peso weight. Maybe it is a grain Maravides weight, though 1000 grains would be equal to about 50 grams.

Grain bronze Marevedis were commonly debased, so it might take this into account.

Last edited:

SPEEDBUMP

Jul 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT DOESN'T MATTER IF ITS GOLD OR SILVER THAT IS ONE HECK OF A FIND. CONGRAT'S.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Speedbump... I was pretty jazzed when I found it... I love these unique finds... Gold and silver are pretty awesome too though! Hehehe...

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
East Coast of Florida (called Treasure Coast)...

1emeraldlady

Jul 26, 2013
Micco, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It was a beach recovery from the Cabin Wreck area and was well encrusted when I found it but I conserved and weighed it and it is currently 87.7 grams... It is obviously a lead scale weight and has a Castilian castle stamp on it... Any comments or info about similar finds or input on what the significance of the castle stamp was would be appreciated... Phips

What an interesting find!!! I love hunting this area just for the unique finds. It is so much fun to learn more about this object & thanks for sharing! Happy hunting!

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Show you up? I'm trying to CATCH up. :-P

Yep, there are castles in the centers of the weights, those were pretty worn and much of the detail is gone. I always assumed the castle meant they were officially checked or certified or something as well. All of our nested weight sets from the Punta Cana wreck had castles stamped in the bottom (first picture), and another symbol stamped on each weight. The other symbol is known but I can't recall all of the letters at the moment. It's a bit jumbled (2nd pic) but it has more than 4 letters even though it appears to be 4. I can't for the life of me recall the word or its meaning. It will likely come to me about the time I hit "Submit Reply". :-)

Hi Jason,

first of all, why are no email adresses or contact infos are to find at your GME website??

I have bought recently one of your nesting weights # PCoo501 (your photo of the biggest weight on the right side is from my set) and I am interested in more pieces of this wreck (specially unrestored if possible!)
Please would you contact me if you can make some offers?

PS: Can you tell me how many of this nesting weights was found in this wreck?

Many thanks

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread