Dates For Copper Ship Spikes

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Anybody aware of the dates for the end of copper ship spikes. I found one in the Abacos in an area with a wreck dating 1865. Just curious if it's worth more exploration
Thanks
J.O.A.T. Every Wreck is worth exploring. Every Wreck had money on it, even if it was in someones pocket or the ships safe for buying supplies. Then you have old artifacts that are a treasure in itself. Let us know what you find. :key:

OP
OP
J.O.A.T

J.O.A.T

Feb 23, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment copper spike.bmp Im just trying to estimate the date to rule out the known 1865 wreck. It was found on top of a very old reef where the arrow is pointing. I only covered 2% of the area. We were on vacation so just planning to go back if I can add some value.
Thanks
i'll post a pick later

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any "Green Turtles" close by per chance? :thumbsup:

doublehose

Greenie
Jan 11, 2014
Sackville Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello; I don't know if this helps but here are a couple of spikes I found. The taller one is actually bronze it was found on the wreck of the paddle wheel steamer U S M S Humboldt which wrecked entering Halifax Harbor in 1853. The other 2 are copper and were found on the wreck of the British Frigate HMS Tribune she also wrecked in Halifax in November 1797. Are there any markes on the spike ? An arrow typically called the broad arrow would mean the spike is British. I hope this helps spikes1 001.jpg

OP
OP
J.O.A.T

J.O.A.T

Feb 23, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw your response. Thank you for taking the time to respond. It is brass but I have moved onto other projects. Thanks again
DB

daveyboy$32

Feb 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey if you happen to ever get back on here check out my profile and take a look at the copper spike I posted last year. Found it while diving in the abacos as well. Stumbled upon it while hunting some lobster. We were diving the inner reefs. I think we were off of crab cay but not sure. Just curious to know if you ever came across any other info. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread