borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
With this being my first post I figured I get right to business. Forgive me if this is in the wrong section. I plan on being a long time contributing member so please dont think this is a "post and run". Im programmed to treasure hunt probably like most of you.

I bought my first atocha coin off ebay and I am curious to why it doesnt have the impression seal on the COA over Mel's signature. Ive seen about three or four other legit looking coins have this same missing seal. Was there a period of time in the beginning where they didnt do the impression or was there a day it was broke? I know the certifications were haphazard at times but I just wanted to put my mind at ease. The biggest reason I jumped at buying this coin is that it had been recertified/appraised and an actual picture of the coin is on the online database so by looking at the features I can be pretty sure that this coin matches this COA. The certification does have the treasure salvors seal.

The coin also came with a leather flippet and the flippet has what looks like Times new roman font instead of the receipt looking flippets Ive seen.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• Atocha COA.jpg
    Atocha COA.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 664
  • Atocha 230838.jpg
    Atocha 230838.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 406
OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for your replies. I would reach out to them but theyd probably just tell me to buy another COA which is $200. The coin I bought was recertified in 2012 and the recertification looks legit (there is a typo on the weight however). Since they recertified, the photo of my coin is online...I just imagine that there are others out there with a similar COA.

The flippett is what is required to get a new COA and Ive only seen a few like the one I have (it doesnt look like the typical gas station receipt and instead of Atocha 1985 it has Atocha 1622)

Attachments

• recertification.jpg
    recertification.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 283
  • Flipett.jpg
    Flipett.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 313

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
BornToHunt - your piece is legit so no worries. What you have is an old COA with a new appraisal and flip/insert. The new flips are the leather variety. Old flips have the old receipt insert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread