Galveston/Any Spanish Gold/Silver Found ??

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Dimeman: Have heard rumors over the years, but nothing concrete! You could get a hold of Jim Alexander in South Houston (Alexander Enterprises) Ask him, then ask about the Treasure Hunters of Pasadena Meetings! They go down there all the time!

HH Joe

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've heard rumors also, and have made some finds on Padre Island. Haven't hunted Glaveston yet, but I have to take Dad to M.D. Anderson in a few weeks. I plan on hopping out to the island and taking a look around. It's a long shot because there isn't much concrete data on the location...but like everyone else, I have my guesses.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They had a huge hurricane in the early 1900's, wiped out almost the entire island. Not sure how much of the actual island was removed, but most structures were. Good point though, the coastline may have been eroded and any coastal shipwrecks would be that much further out from the current beach. Not to mention the amount the sea level has risen since 1600, it blows me away that most people never take that into account. Our polar ice caps ARE melting...where do we think that water goes??? If you raise sealevel 1 foot, about 7 feet of shoreline becomes submerged...you gotta do your homework. I'm not a "global warming is going to kill us all" type, it's a natural cycle that the earth goes through...we are just helping it along. Al Gore should study some ancient history before he goes on TV. ::)

Jason

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
Thats very possible cause Port St. Joe did in the Florida panhandle and you can find the scattered remains of a German U-boat is also in the bay of St. Joseph

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Voldbjerg said:
Didnt galverston or part of it disapear into the oocean about 100 yers ago?

Read Clive Cussler's book, The Sea Hunters, where he found the Republic of Texas Navy warship, Zavala, found under a parking lot in Galveston, Texas. Good book.

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
ScubaFinder said:
They had a huge hurricane in the early 1900's, wiped out almost the entire island. Not sure how much of the actual island was removed, but most structures were. Good point though, the coastline may have been eroded and any coastal shipwrecks would be that much further out from the current beach. Not to mention the amount the sea level has risen since 1600, it blows me away that most people never take that into account. Our polar ice caps ARE melting...where do we think that water goes??? If you raise sealevel 1 foot, about 7 feet of shoreline becomes submerged...you gotta do your homework. I'm not a "global warming is going to kill us all" type, it's a natural cycle that the earth goes through...we are just helping it along. Al Gore should study some ancient history before he goes on TV. ::)

Jason

From what I have read that 1900 hurricane moved the southern part of the island inwards of about 5 or 6 blocks. Most buildings were destroyed, if not severely damaged. There has been many wrecks off the island, some off the southeast end. Jean Laffite had some wrecked there and also he had cornered some and sunk them. His fort on the island was on the northeast side, opposite Pelican Island. In the past,there have been written reports of some shipwrecks ,seen from the shore, sticking out of the water, when a real low tide and a big cold front comes through.

Should be some old silver or gold coins washing up on the beaches.

OP
OP
Dimeman

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
bja3908 said:
Have lived in Galveston all my life and have hunt the beach for years. Like everyone I to have heard rumors ;) ;)

I didn't think anyone would say if and where they found any ;) ;) .....ya want 'em all to yourself...... :P :P

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Darren in NC said:
Read Clive Cussler's book, The Sea Hunters, where he found the Republic of Texas Navy warship, Zavala, found under a parking lot in Galveston, Texas. Good book.

I read the book. And yes its a great book.

V

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that this is an old Thread but I still think that the information below, may be of interest to those searching for shipwrecks near Galveston!

I read a story a few years back where some guys were duck hunting in the (I believe) Trinity Bay area quite a few years prior to writing the story. One of the guys while trying to retrieve a downed duck in the marsh/swamp land, he came across a large ship anchor. In my thinking, if a ship ran aground or beached somewhere near or Northeast of Galveston, it may have been later pushed and blown into Trinity Bay by the storm surge and winds of another Hurricane or possibly even the Hurricane that caused the ship to run aground or beach.

Frank

weston777

Greenie
Aug 13, 2013
las vegas
Detector(s) used
GARRETT Spectrum V3i, ATpro, Minelab X-terra 305, whites spectrum xlt, and several older detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is metal detecting allowed on Padre Island south of Corpus Christi?

As with any beach or island that's off limits the beach up to the Hi tide line is probably ok.

KatPollock

Jan 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a resident on the Island during hurricane Ike, I can verify that about 30 yards of beach was swept away from the west end. So imagine 300 years of hurricanes doing the same thing. My guess would be that the beach When Jean Lafitte was around is about a hundred yards or more off shore. It is probably even more than that.

deodra

Mar 13, 2014
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
They were stolen
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info, all. Thanks! One great place to look is the depressions along the island. Good stuff, and, of course, crap, gets washed into them and don't usually get washed inland any further. Just a recommendation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread