Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Galveston/Any Spanish Gold/Silver Found ??

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2007
    Houston,TX
    Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
    2 times

Galveston/Any Spanish Gold/Silver Found ??

I know probably no one will admit finding any, but I must ask.....

Anyone find or actually heard of someone who has found any Spanish gold or silver coins on the Galveston,TX beaches?

No I haven't found any...just curious as to the many Jean Lafite tales and old shipwrecks off the island, if any old coins have been found.

us
    Jul 2006
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Garrett Ace 250
    6 times

Re: Galveston/Any Spanish Gold/Silver Found ??

Dimeman: Have heard rumors over the years, but nothing concrete! You could get a hold of Jim Alexander in South Houston (Alexander Enterprises) Ask him, then ask about the Treasure Hunters of Pasadena Meetings! They go down there all the time!

HH Joe
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
                          Member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy!

Charter Member
    us
    Underwater Heritage Rescue Diver

Jul 2006
    Tampa, FL
    AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
    234 times
    Shipwrecks
    Banner Finds (1)

I've heard rumors also, and have made some finds on Padre Island. Haven't hunted Glaveston yet, but I have to take Dad to M.D. Anderson in a few weeks. I plan on hopping out to the island and taking a look around. It's a long shot because there isn't much concrete data on the location...but like everyone else, I have my guesses.

dk
    Feb 2006

Didnt galverston or part of it disapear into the oocean about 100 yers ago?

V

Charter Member
    us
    Underwater Heritage Rescue Diver

Jul 2006
    Tampa, FL
    AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
    234 times
    Shipwrecks
    Banner Finds (1)

They had a huge hurricane in the early 1900's, wiped out almost the entire island. Not sure how much of the actual island was removed, but most structures were. Good point though, the coastline may have been eroded and any coastal shipwrecks would be that much further out from the current beach. Not to mention the amount the sea level has risen since 1600, it blows me away that most people never take that into account. Our polar ice caps ARE melting...where do we think that water goes If you raise sealevel 1 foot, about 7 feet of shoreline becomes submerged...you gotta do your homework. I'm not a "global warming is going to kill us all" type, it's a natural cycle that the earth goes through...we are just helping it along. Al Gore should study some ancient history before he goes on TV.

Jason
    COASTCOMBER likes this.

us
    "DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES"

Oct 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
    2 times

Thats very possible cause Port St. Joe did in the Florida panhandle and you can find the scattered remains of a German U-boat is also in the bay of St. Joseph
    OLD FRIENDS, OLD WINES AND OLD GOLD ARE THE BEST!

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2004
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
    77 times
    Shipwrecks

Quote Originally Posted by Voldbjerg
    Didnt galverston or part of it disapear into the oocean about 100 yers ago?
    Read Clive Cussler's book, The Sea Hunters, where he found the Republic of Texas Navy warship, Zavala, found under a parking lot in Galveston, Texas. Good book.
    H-2 CHARLIE likes this.

Jan 2007
    Houston,TX
    Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaFinder
    They had a huge hurricane in the early 1900's, wiped out almost the entire island. Not sure how much of the actual island was removed, but most structures were. Good point though, the coastline may have been eroded and any coastal shipwrecks would be that much further out from the current beach. Not to mention the amount the sea level has risen since 1600, it blows me away that most people never take that into account. Our polar ice caps ARE melting...where do we think that water goes If you raise sealevel 1 foot, about 7 feet of shoreline becomes submerged...you gotta do your homework. I'm not a "global warming is going to kill us all" type, it's a natural cycle that the earth goes through...we are just helping it along. Al Gore should study some ancient history before he goes on TV.

Jason
    From what I have read that 1900 hurricane moved the southern part of the island inwards of about 5 or 6 blocks. Most buildings were destroyed, if not severely damaged. There has been many wrecks off the island, some off the southeast end. Jean Laffite had some wrecked there and also he had cornered some and sunk them. His fort on the island was on the northeast side, opposite Pelican Island. In the past,there have been written reports of some shipwrecks ,seen from the shore, sticking out of the water, when a real low tide and a big cold front comes through.

Should be some old silver or gold coins washing up on the beaches.

Aug 2006
    galveston tx
    2 times

Have lived in Galveston all my life and have hunt the beach for years. Like everyone I to have heard rumors
    All my friends live in my computer

Jan 2007
    Houston,TX
    Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by bja3908
    Have lived in Galveston all my life and have hunt the beach for years. Like everyone I to have heard rumors
    I didn't think anyone would say if and where they found any .....ya want 'em all to yourself...... :P :P

dk
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Darren in NC
    Read Clive Cussler's book, The Sea Hunters, where he found the Republic of Texas Navy warship, Zavala, found under a parking lot in Galveston, Texas. Good book.
    I read the book. And yes its a great book.

V

us
    Apr 2011
    Dallas TX, Philippines, Fairbanks Alaska
    Garrett Scorpion, Whites 2-box deep cache
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Is metal detecting allowed on Padre Island south of Corpus Christi?
    Plenty of gold in them hills...and plenty of dirt too....

May 2007
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    NOPE!!!!!

us
    Apr 2007
    Porter, Texas
    ACE 250 - VibraProbe
    41 times
    From what I understand, parts of it are ok to hunt. Make some phone calls before you go. HH
    jeff08xx likes this.
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of BURIED TREASURE BABY!!!
    Lead me to the BOOTY Rudy2003 !!!

us
    Frank

Jun 2013
    Jefferson City, Tennessee
    JW Fisher Pulse 8X; Minelab CTX 3030 & Sovereign Elite; White's GMT, GM II, Beach Hunter Id, Surf PI, Coinmaster Classic II, 6000 Di S2, Two 2000-D S3's, old GM 66-T with 5 coils & GM 65-T with 3 coil
    1007 times
    Prospecting
    I know that this is an old Thread but I still think that the information below, may be of interest to those searching for shipwrecks near Galveston!

I read a story a few years back where some guys were duck hunting in the (I believe) Trinity Bay area quite a few years prior to writing the story. One of the guys while trying to retrieve a downed duck in the marsh/swamp land, he came across a large ship anchor. In my thinking, if a ship ran aground or beached somewhere near or Northeast of Galveston, it may have been later pushed and blown into Trinity Bay by the storm surge and winds of another Hurricane or possibly even the Hurricane that caused the ship to run aground or beach.

Frank

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links