1715 fleet

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
This is some 1715 ... but sadly enough are not mine! but are still nice to hold!

Attachments

• A Handful.jpg
    A Handful.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 840

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt begins for lost 1715 treasure ship

By SUZANNE WENTLEY
[email protected]
February 13, 2007

HUTCHINSON ISLAND — Treasure hunters arrived on the Treasure Coast on Monday in search of what they hope might be a ship from a gold-filled fleet that gave the area its name. The four-person crew of a lift boat named the Polly-L expects to reach Tiger Shores Beach, located just north of Stuart Public Beach, this morning and begin looking for historical artifacts associated with a shipwreck possibly from the 1715 Spanish treasure fleet.

The search begins four years after officials with the Amelia Island-based Amelia Research and Recovery team first surveyed the shallow waters off Hutchinson Island for a stack of cannons that a local surfer discovered almost 30 years ago.
"I'm excited and ready to go," said Dave Jordan, a former Palm City resident and surfer who kept his discovery a secret for 25 years until his wife triggered the memory. "I want to see what's there."

So does Doug Pope, the president of Amelia Research and Recovery, who on Monday captained the four-story-high boat down the Intracoastal Waterway in Fort Pierce.

Pope and Jordan worked with the state to secure necessary permits to "dig and identify" the 42 targets they found during a 2005 survey about 200 yards from the beach.

Starting as early as today, professional divers will use metal detectors to rule out which of the targets are "modern junk" — bridge parts or other metal debris — picked up in the initial survey, Pope said.

Then they'll use a 6-inch vacuum dredge to determine what the remaining targets are. If they uncover an artifact of potential historical significance, the treasure hunters must first receive a permit to "salvage" the material.

"When the treasure gods start smiling, then we'll say we found something," Pope said. "They don't smile that often."

If Jordan's memory turns out to be accurate, Martin County historians say the shipwreck could be part of an 11-vessel Spanish fleet that wrecked in a hurricane in 1715.

So far, the ship from that fleet discovered farthest south was the Urca de Lima, found north of Fort Pierce's Pepper Beach Park, which now contains a state underwater archeological preserve around the wreck. Other ships from that fleet have been discovered in Indian River County.

While it is unlikely any gold will be uncovered in the search, officials with the Historical Society of Martin County are hoping historical treasures will be discovered and eventually displayed in the new Elliott Museum planned just yards from the possible shipwreck site.

Jordan, who has family in Martin County and is in the process of moving from North Carolina to Gainesville, said he will likely stay on the Polly-L for a few days as the work begins. The project is expected to take about a month.

"It's important for me to find the cannons, but it's not about me," he said. "I'm excited Martin County is getting a chance. There's tons of history here. It's unbelievable."

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/article/0,2545,TCP_16736_5346953,00.html

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:'( :'(

Arrrgh! there goes the rest of the Spanish Treasure! Hopefully there is a decent amount leftover for the rest of us.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also love blue and white.....did someone say about $25.00 ea? let me see now what this adds up too.

Every once in a great while...you can find a piece on the beach.

If you know where to look ;)

If you see me walking the beach...don't bother following, I'll beat you to it. aaarrggghhh (except for 1 person I know)

Trez

normal_bluewhite.JPG

OP
OP

1715gold

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2006
Thanks for the pics gentlemen-very impressive. And you don't have to worry about someone taking all of the treasure Larsmed,because I believe that fleet sailed out of Havana with $65,000,000 on board,not Fourteen. And only about 25% of that has been recovered.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thats right, $25 per piece. Even more if you can see an animal like a bird. One buddy mounted 4 in a frame and was selling them for $100 at the flea market. Thats quite a collection you have there Trez!

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes gentlemen

I hope each of us who is sailing down the road of life has a chance to find one of these treasures from the deep before the end!

Attachments

• sanpedro.jpg
    sanpedro.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 759

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
No wonder I can't find a piece to fit .... TREZ has them all! ... They make nice earrings too. Not that I wear earrings ::) but they make nice ones!

Jimi D Pirate

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Trez,
I thought you were into coins and not cermics.
Have you ever tried to stick any of these shards together.
I have a few whole items like you are showing. I wonder if I broke them up would they would be worth much. Haw my hospital bill would cost to much ;D ;D ;D.
QUESTION: How do you know these are REAL? ::) :-\
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Peg Leg

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peg,

Anything that pertains to shipwrecks washing up on the beaches, 1715 Fleet, 1600s, 1700s, 1800s,
I hunt and I collect. period.
shards, sherds, spikes, fittings, lead, copper, gold, silver, glass, wood, I don't care...if it is shipwreck and washes on shore or gets exposed...and I get there first, it comes home with me.
My goal someday is to build a galleon to 1/10 scale and rig it with everything I have found.....it may sink immediately, but...that's OK...I'll just wait till it washes back up on the beach.

Trez

Eupho17

Mar 10, 2007
Hi!

I'm posting here because I'm (hopefully- if plans don't fall through) going to be coming to the Treasure Coast in about a month or so. I heard and read about the 1715 fleet, and so I'm borrowing a friend's metal detector and coming from the frigid north to see if I can find something. As a student of history (and a bit of a chrysophile- aren't we all?), I'm quite excited for the opportunity to possibly find something. Problem is...I don't know where to look!

I know that the ships are scattered along the coast between Sebastian and Port St. Lucie, but I'm not quite sure what beaches would be good for finding something, or even the names of beaches for that matter.

Any information, of course, would be more than welcome, and I'd deeply appreciate input.

Thanks!

Eupho17

Mar 10, 2007
Hey, thanks for the link.

Well, I'll give it a try anyway, despite the amount of sand.

I mean, it's a beach, right?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: 1715 fleet--yes its a beach but heavy sand over the wreck stuff right now

metal detectors only "read" so far down --deep recent "fresh" sand put on the beach for "renourishment" often covers the origional 1715 beach deep under the "new" sand thus making it hard to find the stuff your looking for--that being said -- you can not "find it" if you aren't looking.---so take that chance--- hell you buy lotto tickets most likely--- better odds of finding something on the beach than hitting the lotto. so read jimi d pirates post ---bring your buddies sqawk box-- please have him so you how to use it properly--- look near the face of the dunes ---P.S.--stay off the dunes and out of the water near the leased sites. both are trouble and illegal--- other than that ---best of luck to ya. Ivan

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Blacksheep6,
We are working off Melbourne beach and turned in about 600 lbs. of encrusted artifacts to the
Fishers on Monday. We know we found about a dozen spikes and I brought up what was shaped like a pistol. Time will tell. We had to delay work til this wind stops blowing so hard. I should be back on the boat on Monday or Tuesday.

Diverlynn

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
Diverlynn...

Thanks for the update...have been following your posts on some of the other threads...with you being the only one here actually "on station", you're our best resource...enjoyed your pics on the other thread...I look forward to your updates...Safe Seas and Good Hunting!!!!

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Yep, I am a forum junkie ;D
Here's some of our recovery's from last week.

Attachments

• MFE 69473.JPG
    MFE 69473.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 326
  • MFE 69474.JPG
    MFE 69474.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 320
  • MFC 69482.JPG
    MFC 69482.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 342
  • MFE 69495.JPG
    MFE 69495.JPG