1715 fleet

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Do not be surprised if a few NEW ones are found this coming season.
PEG LEG

OP
OP

1715gold

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2006
Sorry gentlemen, I should have been more specific. How much could be left on the 5 or 6 wrecks that have been found and worked since the sixtys. I ask because, I read that Bob(frogfoot)weller said the pickings are becoming scarce and there might not be much left.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
1715 wreck,
There is a total of about 9,000 ships that went down along the East Coast of the US. It is anyones guess how many went went down alongthe East Coast of Florida.
PEG LEG

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree with Weller, definitely no reason to go looking around...there's nothing left there. Never mind the other 15 boats out there, they are just wasting time...probably sunbathing. :D Seriously, in the grand scheme of things, less that 75% of the LISTED treasure has been recovered...the contraband is said to be as much or more. You do the math. Is it easy to find...nope, can you do it with a small boat, no equipment and no research...probably not. Is it there...oh yeah, can it be found...it can and it will be!

Don't believe everything you read...my posts included. ;)

Jason

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
There is no way it will all be recovered, but yes there has been a significant amount recovered. This is where research and a scientific, methodical approach to your excavations is important. You are much less likely to just reef roam or blow a random hole and find coins etc like they used to do. But there are many places yet to be looked.

Robert in SC

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
That is exactly right Robert "It will never all be found" Methodical approach is very important. it's a very big haystack out there! Tho Bird-doggin has and will give up spots off the beaten path at times, such as back in 93 when diver CJ found some of the Queen's dowry while bird-dogging off the established grid that Bob and Margaret were working. Lets not forget the "Queen's Jewels" that's what we are really after along with lots of contraband. There are many many places still to be searched and you will find most of those places closer to shore!!!

Jimi D Pirate

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I read somewhere that since the 1715 fleet was discovered around 1968 there has been a total of $30 million recovered. Also, taking account of what the manifest lists and an estimate of the contraband, minus what the Spanish recovered, the experts estimate that there is still a total of $900 million still missing.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The treasure is there.ill be out there all this summer on the HRD site.right now collecting lots of veggie oil to be made into biodiesel.i should have around 2000 gallons in a few months.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Biodiesel will definitely keep your costs down 8)

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was just thinking about that..I am sure most of the wrecks on Florida's east coast have been worked to the bone..However there are also Spanish wrecks in the bahamas, West coast and off the coast of south america. However, of course those wrecks require much more resoureces to actually bring any kind of profit. There are so many salvors out there on the Fl Spanish wrecks that I am sure most of the extremely valuable treasure like the gold bars, disks and jewelry will be sitting on ebay or in someone's possesion.

I suppose there are plenty of coins and dubloons left out there! So HH!

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The comments about Florida's wrecks being "worked out" are obviously from people who haven't hunted them. Do your research, and you will find that only a small fraction has been brought up. At least 5 entire ships still remain unfound, 2 sterncastles (where much of the treasure was stored) have not been found from known wrecks. The percentage of treasure that has been brought up to what was lost is phenomenally small. Do your homework before you write off an area...or at least hold your judgement until later this summer when me and my buds are proving it to you. :D

There is more treasure still under Florida's waters than most places in the world.

Jason

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
HH, scroll up and read post #8.

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ScubaFinder

I have readup on most of what Mel fisher and his crews have found since the discovery of these wrecks and it appears that according to the manifests and inventories that atleast the jewelry, disks and bars on the florida wrecks have been recovered. Now, from what I have read there are mainly jewels and coins on the Florida wreck sites.

Of course there could be some bars, disks or jewelry left over. I mean hey all of it is valuable. If you have a boat, diving gear and quality metal detectors.

If I see a post from you with a bar or disk made of silver,or gold
or jewelry from the 1715 wreck sites, I will eat my hat and my words.

HH ;D

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1715gold said:
Sorry gentlemen, I should have been more specific. How much could be left on the 5 or 6 wrecks that have been found and worked since the sixtys. I ask because, I read that Bob(frogfoot)weller said the pickings are becoming scarce and there might not be much left.

While recoveries from the 1715 fleet are fare less than they were in the 60's, recoveries from the fleets are still being reported every year. This simply means that most the easy to find artifacts have been found, and that the harder to locate and recover artifacts will require a more methodical, time consuming approach to locate. Frogfoot has also said that we will most likely never find it all. If Bob "Frogfoot" Weller truly believed that there were no more treasure to find on these wrecks, I doubt that Bob, his investors and his boat the Pandion, would still be working the wreck sites.
Lets not forget about the five shipwrecks that have not yet been found. Once located, we could all have a flashback to the 60's.

The first photo is of Bob "Frogfoot" Weller surveying one of the wreck sites in 2004.
The second photo is of a 1.5 lb. gold bar recovered from one of the 1715 wrecks just south of Sebastian Inlet by Jeff Milne on August 11, 2006.

Larsmed, enjoy your meal! ;D

Attachments

• JeffBar1.jpg
    JeffBar1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,069
  • treasurehunt 033.jpg
    treasurehunt 033.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 949
  • JeffBar1.jpg
    JeffBar1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,034

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I love the blue and white porcelain! At the Mel Fisher Center they take small pieces, line the edges with gilded gold or silver and sell them as necklaces, which I think are beautiful.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Polychrome blue pieces of Kang Sai' porcelin were fetching $25 per piece last time I heard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread