Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" or "Sharks cause shipwreck!"

Bull Sharks Sink Boat Off Fla. Coast

POSTED: 9:27 am EST February 6, 2007

FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla. -- A crew aboard a shrimping boat were rescued after a group of bull sharks rammed and bit the vessel until it eventually sank off the Florida coast, according to an Associated Press report.

Captain Roger Schmall said a group of sharks had been slamming into the Christy Nichole's hull for four days. But then a 14-foot bull shark broke the boat's tail shaft, leaving Schmall and his crew of two adrift about 100 miles off the coast.

Schmall radioed for help, and another vessel picked the crew up about two hours later.

Schmall remained aboard his ship to pump water out while the other boat pulled it back to land. He said it was working for a couple of hours, but the waves eventually took their toll on Schmall's boat and the boat sank.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: "we're gonna need a bigger boat" or "Sharks cause shipwreck!"

All those in favor of a steel hull, say aye! :D

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Wow. :o Must be Global Warming. ;) ;)

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004

I find that really hard to believe. Ramming a ship causes severe damage to the sharks.

It's possible that the boat was a real POS and a mistaken hit by a shark caused the final doom, but the story is written like "killer sharks attack boat and sink it", I bet it should be more like "unseaworthly boat done in by accidental hit by shark" But that wouldn't sell stories would it....

:)

capt_t

Dec 27, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Sharks bounced off the shrimping boat for four days before the Christy Nichole sank off the coast of Fort Myers Beach last week.

"Sometimes the bigger ones get caught up," said Roger Schmall, a shrimper with 26 years of experience in the waters of Florida and Texas.

A bull shark, about 14 feet by his estimate, had busted the shrimping boat's tail shaft, rendering the propeller useless and leaving Schmall and his crew of two at a standstill about 100 miles off the coast.

"It's pretty scary when you're sitting there and you got all that water coming in," said Schmall of Fort Myers.

The Uncle Henry shrimping vessel would find them two hours later, at 5:30 a.m. on Jan. 25, but the ordeal would not yet be over.

Sharks are a common sight for shrimpers. The sea creatures hound their vessels.

"That's where they get their food, when we throw our trash over," Schmall said, referring to unwanted critters caught in the netting.

"Now, they're so ferocious, they travel in such big packs," Schmall said.

Once, in Freeport, Texas, Schmall's dog jumped in the Gulf after the shrimpers dumped the extras. The dog was caught in the feeding frenzy and never came up again.

At about 3:30 a.m. on that Thursday, Schmall heard a large thud.

"The boat started shaking real bad," Schmall said.

He knew he had been hit by one of the bull sharks that had been trailing them for days. Water began to seep in.

To avert panic, he had the crew work. They began loading and stocking the goods and packing their personal belongings.

Schmall kept the pumps going to keep the boat afloat.

They couldn't see the sharks in the black water. But they knew they were there.

"As long as I kept the crew busy, they wouldn't have time to think about anything else," Schmall said. "I had the crew pretty calm. I was pretty calm and confident we would save the boat."

Nearby, shrimper Henry Gore got the call from his friend Schmall and in two hours reached their ship. The crew's eyes were wide, he said, and they seemed anxious to hop on his boat, Uncle Henry.

"I told my guys, 'Tell them they can get on our boat anytime,'" said Henry Gore.

They got out. Schmall borrowed some pumps from Gore's ships and stayed on. He hoped he could keep the boat floating while Gore tugged them to the shore. The plan worked for a couple of hours.

"The bad weather is what really did it to us," said Schmall, who said he could've saved his boat had the skies been clear.

"The weather got real bad, 6- to 8-foot seas," Schmall said. The rain began to pound the Christy Nichole and waves rammed her.

"The propeller broke loose and it ripped out the back end of the boat," Schmall said.

He abandoned ship. Just two hours later the Christy Nichole — which he had owned for 12 years and valued at about $165,000 — would be under water. In his haste to keep the pumps going, he never got a chance to collect his personal items.

"After 12 years of being on there you have everything (on it), clothes, pictures, equipment, supplies," Schmall said.

He has no idea what he'll do next. He's considering leaving the shrimping industry altogether.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All i have to say is im sure glad my boat isnt made of wood or fiberglass.sharks can knock themselves out on my 3/8" thick aluminium hull all they want,while i take pot shots at them with my gun.sharks just need to die.protected or not,if they attack you or your boat its self defense.they are just fish.no one is going to mourn the loss of killer sharks.

those shrimpers should have just run thier props to make sushi out of those sharks.props will slice right thru sharks,no bones. 8)

they even make shark pods for boats,electrify the area around your hull.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions