Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going down this weekend. Jeff, the place does not look ANYTHING like the photos when we were there last spring. The corpse of engineers has the entire area in your photo near the bridge covered over in 20' plus of sand the dredged out of the inlet, from the south side. They have about a 24" pipe still pumping it in from the inlet to the end of the bridge on the north, plus some more. Within 100 feet of that first batch of scrub trees. You have to walk down Delaware 1 to get around their orange fence. You cannot walk down the beach, you have to walk on the road side of their cute orange fence. HOWEVER, there is already a 10' cut dug immediately at the inlet. At the inlet there is about 200' of beach to look in. People have been in there but I found stuff behind them. Lots of lead sinkers up high. Found a wheatie there a week ago. I went all the way around the danged orange fence and found a pewter button and 2' piece of ships plating in brass, and back toward the inlet, found a piece (tiny) of 18th century redware. The stuff at this point is going to be everywhere and nowhere. And one good storm and the sand will be gone again.

T Hunter

Oct 26, 2006
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
is that ship sheathing copper? Or brass? Never seen brass sheathing .Have fun this weekend.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, the beach is totally different right now. The corps of Engineers is actively pumping sand out of the south inlet on to the beach. Biggest problem is you have to walk around their 200 yards of gorgeous orange fence. They won't let you at the water where there fence is. Fortunately, there is another 2 miles of so of beach to look thru. There is a new 10' cut at the inlet, Sand went back in the ocean. I found three 18th century relics two weeks ago, nothing spectacular, but the way the sand's been dozed around you could find stuff from the wrecks anywhere. I'm going this weekend. Even though there's 20' of sand on the beach that wasn't there last year, it's pre Sandy, post Sandy and ocean sand there now.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Button was remnants of a disaster, not much left. I haven't really looked at the sheathing much yet. Found a copper in my bag from last weekend but dang don't remember digging it. Must be getting old.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant get access to the beach from that parking lot. They are bringing in huge boulders, got it roped off. Go 1/2 mile north and park at Savages Ditch road.

tecciztecatl

Jun 29, 2013
Downingtown, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Di6000 Series3
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Well my trip last year didn't get me anything at Coin Beach except for two dimes and a penny, a bunch of iron and strong waves. I parked at Savages Ditch Rd and walked half way up the Lifesaving Station. THe waves hit harder than at Rehoboth Beach, where I do most of the detecting when we visit there.

I am returning for a day trip in two weeks to Coin Beach and will hit the area by the bridge ... Has anyone been there lately? How are things looking down there right now?

Since it is still cold out there I plan on just hitting the dry areas and staying away from the water ... what do you guys think?

Good luck to all!

T Hunter

Oct 26, 2006
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
There is a ton of sand on the beach right now. If it were me I would go some where else. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions