A missing ship from the 1691 fleet ?...a plan of Nuestra Senora del Mar from the AI

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neustra senora del mar, 1691.png nuestra legend.png MP-Ingenios, 318
The plan of the galleon is interesting to me for several reasons, but so is the title for this holding in the Archives of the Indies: "Plano del galeón "Nuestra Señora de la Mar", de la Armada del general marqués del Vado, que naufragó en el golfo de la Bermuda"

The loss of 4 galleons on the Pedro Bank 80 miles or so from Jamaica in 1691 is well known. The galleons listed as being lost are the Santa Cruz, Concepcion, El Angel and Del Carrera. I cannot find any mention of a Nuestra Senora de la Mar. I also wonder about the fact that this ship is listed as being lost in "el golfo de la Bermuda"...kind of a strange way to describe a wreck 80 miles south of Jamaica. Has anyone ever heard of this one? I am thinking Del Vado's flota must have suffered another setback after leaving Havana...but I have never read anything about this...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the gulf of burmuda -- the area between florida and burmuda was called "the straights of florida " or the burmuda channel --or the gulf of florida /burmuda depending upon who was talking about it .

plan of the galleon --our lady of the sea * of the Armada of the general marquis of the Vado ,which was wrecked in the gulf of the Bermudas.

the 4 1691 wrecks on the pedro banks are known to have sank there --this other one sank somewhere between the florida coast and burmuda.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread