2 cannons

dorkyduke

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2007
While reading a copy of an old Washington state newspaper I came across a small article relating that a ship in the Perry squadron on its mission to asia was grounded on a reef and had to jettison its starboard battery lest the ship be lost. This occurred in July, 1853 as the squadron was leaving the port of Xiamen, china (westerners referred to it as Amoy). The ship was the USS Saratoga, described as a sloop of war (although pictures of it look like a brig), she carried 22 guns. This happened in spite of being helmed by a local chinese pilot hired to take her out of the harbor. Further research reveals that salvage operations were put into effect and 9 out of the 11 guns were retrieved, leaving a 32 pounder and something called a 68 on the bottom. The name of the reef she struck was referred to as Manner's reef. I'm 99% certain that somebody, whether they were American, Chinese, or otherwise immediately recovered the other two cannons after the departure of the squadron, but I can't confirm it in records. Anyways there is the slim possibilty they might still be there. I'd be interested in knowing if anybody knows if they were. If they weren't recovered, it might be a nice little project for anybody who is planning on going to Xiamen. Not gold coins, but interesting nonetheless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread