59.6 KB · Views: 466

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Those look like they could be ship spikes to me, although the wood doesn't look very old or dark, and the spikes have round heads, not square. Hose that sucker off and let us see more of it. Maybe part of the boardwalk over the dunes? You did drag it back to your car, right Chagyman?

(We might need Lucy's good luck on the boat this summer)

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, could be.

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I didn't get it out.....I am going back tomorrow for it......its pretty long...... that part in the pic is like 4ft and I believe there is another 4ft under the dune ::) ......the cut is really high like 7ft to 8ft but since half of it its under the dune when you try ti dig it all the sand comes down.....and as we all know we are not supposed to mess with the dune :-\

she also found this encrusted thing its 10 inches long about 2 inches wide and about 5 pounds....I hit it a few time with a hammer and the rocks came of...it looks like a torpedo....Any ideas?

Attachments

• encrusted artifact.jpg
    encrusted artifact.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 446
  • encrusted artifact after.jpg
    encrusted artifact after.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 470

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Chagyman, it looks like an old window weight. It was shaped pretty much like that. I don't know what they're called but I usd to have them on the sides of my windows as a kid. They hung on a small rope to help keep the windows up.

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Chagy
If the small end has a hole in it, it could be a sounding weight off an old ship.
I really enjoyed seeing you and diving with you today.
Seahunter

eborac

Jan 15, 2005
North Queensland, Australia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
reminds me of one of those weights they used in hospitals where the patient was in plaster & the weight was hanging off the patient's leg at the end of the bed.

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Back in the early 1990's Peter Leo's lifeguard shack was washed into the sea when the beach had eroded back to almost the access road to the park itself. There is also older wood pilings from one of the earlier Jupiter Lifesaving stations and also a beach pavilion built from before the 20th century.

There are pictures of the both of these all around town - in the museum and in local resurants. Have Seahunter ask Peter Leo where his old office was. He also knows about where the older pavilions were.

Capt Dom

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, the weight sure looks like a sash weight. It will have a loop or hole on one end, and made of cast iron. The wood with spikes, looks like it could be from a ship, it sure is a nail sick piece of wood though!

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
SEAHUNTER said:
Hi Chagy
If the small end has a hole in it, it could be a sounding weight off an old ship.
I really enjoyed seeing you and diving with you today.
Seahunter

yes it does have a hole in it.....That explains why it was so heavy :D :D :D :D

Seahunter, I also enjoyed seeing you again and diving with you...It is true that the hunt is the trill....but its a great sensation when you find those coins.....keep up the good work and I wish you all the luck in the world in 2007 and the years to come....

All the best,

Chagy.........

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A sounding weight is lead, this looks like iron(black)and has a cup in the end, usually. That is for the wax to tell if its sand, or rock.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Chagy's 'mystery find' reminds me of a funny story. Back in 1992 I found a similar object on the Green Cabin Wreck (1618 San Martin) that archaeologist Heather Gibbs (working for Mel at that time), identified as a sounding weight. It was heavy, about 12" long, conical and had a hole at one slightly tapered end. I thought it was a pretty neat artifact and had it for years, using it in displays and seminars. Years later I found out it was just a fairly modern window sash that someone had used as a weight for a marker buoy. It was iron, not lead. (what Darren was attempting to describe)
:P

-Tom-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread