SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK - any advice is most welcome!!!

is it possible to date a ship if the anchor had a chain (links) or rope etc?

is it also possible to determine the size of a ship from the size of anchor?

using the following sketch;

Google Image Result for http://yukonharbor.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/joann-smith-anchor-nomenclature.jpg

I have;

direct line across from palm / bill / tee approx. 5 ft
shank approx. 8 ft

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
as time went on ships got bigger --bigger ship need bigger anchors *

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as time went on ships got bigger --bigger ship need bigger anchors *

I know I didn't want a too technical an answer, but c'mon......:tongue3:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
plain simple easy - the answer is yes - I try to keep it simple --easy to understand the why an how of it. == the types of anchors and their designs and size and material made of can def help in figgering out the age and type of vessel it went to.-- military vs civilian style -- iron with wood stocks or fully made of iron / steel --differant fluke designs --as a 27 year merchant seaman with a 300 year old sailing family background anchor's can tell you a lot.

Last edited:

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'll do whatever it takes to get an invite from BVI.... LOL. Okay maybe a flashdrive then.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
plain simple easy - the answer is yes - I try to keep it simple --easy to understand the why an how of it. == the types of anchors and their designs and size and material made of can def help in figgering out the age and type of vessel it went to.-- military vs civilian style -- iron with wood stocks or fully made of iron / steel --differant fluke designs --as a 27 year merchant seaman with a 300 year old sailing family background anchor's can tell you a lot.

ok- so an iron (?) anchor with the sizes I described - any guesses to the date?

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
BVI, The anchor you have is probably a secondary anchor. The ships were required to carry at least six anchors of various sizes back in those days, yours being the smallest. Full size galleon anchors were up to 20 feet tall. Even smaller anchors were aboard for the longboats. I'm no expert, this is just some info I picked up along the way. Need a pic of yours.
Aquanut

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
BVI, The anchor you have is probably a secondary anchor. The ships were required to carry at least six anchors of various sizes back in those days, yours being the smallest. Full size galleon anchors were up to 20 feet tall. Even smaller anchors were aboard for the longboats. I'm no expert, this is just some info I picked up along the way. Need a pic of yours.
Aquanut
So you are saying that size doesn't matter,but how it is used.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you are saying that size doesn't matter,but how it is used.

I tell my wife that all the time.:D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that a picture of the anchor would better serve our purpose here.

I agree, but that would then "prove" I have found what I have found :skullflag: ..... I prefer the "hypothetical" :censored:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I wouldn't rely on any one gun or anchor to tell the entire story. Anchors, and especially cannons, were transferred from ship to ship and from vessels of one country to another (due to capture and salvage). To me, the finding of just one piece (say, one anchor or one gun) is only an indication of what might be; not positive proof. It's only one piece of a puzzle and needs to be corroborated with further evidence.
Don.....

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be the working anchor from a smaller merchantman, privateer, slaver or military vessel. It is certainly too large to be from a mere boat. For every galleon or nao sunk in the new world, probably 100 smaller vessels were lost. As stated, though, it could be the kedge from a much larger ship.

Chain did not come into general use as a rode material until after 1815. If the anchor in question shows no sign of having a chain attached...in other words, no shackle...then it quite possibly could date from the 18th century or earlier, though of course, this would only be a clue and not definitive proof.

Also remember that the introduction of chain as a rode material allowed a significant reduction in anchor size for vessels of all sorts. An Admirality type with an 8 foot shank and an all chain rode would be sufficient as a working anchor for a quite substantial vessel indeed.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
lets see a cast an iron anchor 8 foot long x 5 feet wide --as a has been stated --most likely a secondary type anchor --the type of design is very late 1700 to early / mid 1800 era time frame wise is my best guess --if off a military or larger type vessel it was most likely a secondary anchor -- if of a smaller type vessel however it could be its everyday or main "working" anchor

ah upon a bit of research found out the first "iron stock" used on a anchor was recorded as 1804 --it is a kedge type design --aka as a fishermen's anchor by some --used by both military and civilian vessels

by the size /weight given --it could have been used on a about 200 to 250 ton --frigate sized military vessel or similar sized civilian ship.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread