Is it possible to receive permission to hunt in leased Fl sites?

runningafever

Oct 26, 2013
In the sea / Fl West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do Florida Trreasure Coast lease owners give permission to hunt in their lease for a percentage of the booty? If so, what would a typical lease owner require of you (ie. equipment, percentages, previous experience, etc.) I read about the family that recently found chains, coins, valued at 300k. The story said that they were basically sub contractors for the lease owner and they seemed like a small family operation spending time together doing what they loved. How does a family like this obtain the permission?

Thanks for any info on the subject.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The family who found the chains has been doing this for a long time, great story seeing them make a find like that. They are subconcting through Queen's Jewels, LLC out of Sebastian Florida. The lease is the old Mel Fisher / Motivation, Inc lease on the 1715 Plate Fleet which was taken over by the Brisbane family. I'm sure many here can give you more details, it's been 6 years since I was a subcontractor there, they are the only group I know that allows sub-contracting and there are some requirements to be met. Someone will chime in with the details or a web link, though what i gave you would probably get you talking to them with a quick Google search.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
The family who found the chains has been doing this for a long time, great story seeing them make a find like that. They are subconcting through Queen's Jewels, LLC out of Sebastian Florida. The lease is the old Mel Fisher / Motivation, Inc lease on the 1715 Plate Fleet which was taken over by the Brisbane family. I'm sure many here can give you more details, it's been 6 years since I was a subcontractor there, they are the only group I know that allows sub-contracting and there are some requirements to be met. Someone will chime in with the details or a web link, though what i gave you would probably get you talking to them with a quick Google search.

Jason, Good Post. That should give them a direction to get in touch with the Brisbane's.
How did the Auction Go? You and your group had some pretty nice pieces and I hope you guys made out well.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Ed, we did fairly well in the auction, $42K for the bronze breech loader you saw when you were here. The rare Santo Domingo mint cobs didn't do as good as i had hoped but the other stuff more than made up for it. A good day for sure, the next auction will be the real money maker though, I put a link in the thread about Punta Cana.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do Florida Trreasure Coast lease owners give permission to hunt in their lease for a percentage of the booty? If so, what would a typical lease owner require of you (ie. equipment, percentages, previous experience, etc.) I read about the family that recently found chains, coins, valued at 300k. The story said that they were basically sub contractors for the lease owner and they seemed like a small family operation spending time together doing what they loved. How does a family like this obtain the permission?

Thanks for any info on the subject.

when I talked to brent, the general requirements were as follows.........

1. equipment...............a boat equipped with a blower.
2. percentages.............20% of your finds kept by brent/queens jewels.
3. previous experience.......highly desired.

its been about a year since I talked with him so don't take what I wrote as gospel.

chuck.

OP
OP
runningafever

runningafever

Oct 26, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great information and for pointing me in a direction. I have a neighbor that I can talk to also, he is an older man who hunted a lease out of Sabastian back in the 80's,and did well, being able to keep a percentage of the booty. He has nice crosses, a bell, coins galore, etc. Nice enough for the local Bank of America to ask about possibly displaying his collection in the lobby. I'm pretty sure he said that he worked the lease for the Fishers as he still remains in contact with some family members. At any rate, it is possible then to get to work a lease if you work at it, its good to hear that, thanks.

OP
OP
runningafever

runningafever

Oct 26, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read a lot where the terms "up coming season", "next years season" etc are used when referring to hunting on the 1715 fleet . Do the leaseholders only hunt during certain times of the year, or is there a state "hunting season"?

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contractually the season is Jan thru Dec but in actuality the weather season is about mid-May thru mid-Sept give or take. Some say even shorter but the truthful reality is any day you can get out!

I would say you need 3-4 days of seas 2-3ft or less to get visibility where you would want to work.

Which for the last few years has been tough to get!

OP
OP
runningafever

runningafever

Oct 26, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I have another question that I have not been able to find an answer to. Does the state allow for dredging within the lease sites? If yes, do the Brisbanes allow contractors to dredge or just blow holes? How about outside of the lease sites?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions