1715 FLEET Diorama...

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all... just thought I would share some photos of my latest artistic endeavor... a diorama I made in honor of the 1715 Fleet and the 300th Anniversary coming up in 2015. I only had room for three ships in this display so I did what I could... I made this diorama from scratch and it took about two weeks to complete. Still have some more finishing touches to do on it but its close enough to completion to get the idea. Hope you like it...

Attachments

• Diorama.jpg
    Diorama.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,732
OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully the photos worked out right and you can click on it to get them to enlarge...

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Very nicely done!

Sometimes we get caught up in the treasure and the history and the adventure and tend to forget these were brave sailors lost in terrible circumstances.

Your work captures the horror of storm-driven waves washing over a doomed wooden ship on a lee shore.

Reminds me of Herman Melville's description of the Great Lakes:

"They know what shipwrecks are, for out of sight of land, however inland, they have drowned full many a midnight ship and all its shrieking crew."

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very cool & realistic. What did you use & how did you get the white water over the ships?

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys... Thanks for the compliments...

I have been out beach hunting during many a hurricane over the years and every time I do, I always have to stand there for a moment... just looking at the "boiling" sea in awe and one can only imagine the fear that the people experienced onboard these doomed ships! I tried to capture that raging sea and the grip it had on these galleons as it dragged them to the bottom...

I made the galleon models from an old model mold that I purchased and handpainted them... each with unique designs... then I had to wreck them and make shredded sails etc. I made the sea from clay that I hand shaped and then painted in three different layers of colors and then put a final coat of gloss sealer on it to give it that "wet" appearance. I plan to add just a bit more in the way of wreckage floating in the water but other than that... she's done. Glad the pics worked out... was concerned that those viewing this wouldnt be able to zoom in and see the details of the ships and water...

Last edited:

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Extremely Well Done! Really like the realism of the waves and foam crashing over the ships!

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow Mike, I'm going to add a second CARUMBA to Terry's. Very nice work indeed, I trust this will be on display in one of the museums over there? If not, it certainly should be. Thanks for sharing that with us, your talents go beyond just being a great beach hunter.

Jason

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great thread - what TNet is for!

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all... I really appreciate your comments.

I haven't actually decided what to do with this diorama yet...
I have had several requests to sell it so I may make more of these to accommodate the requests... If I do have the chance to make more, I would like to donate one to the McLarty State Treasure Museum if they would like to display it... I would be honored and would love for others to see it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really very nice work.

Hope you don't mind that I made it a sticky so it will remain at the top of the Ship Wreak Forum.

What is the size?

Last edited:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job phips!!! I too stand there on the beach at night and imagine what the scene may have looked like. I think I will try my hand at one of those Diorama's sometime.
are you down in the keys yet?

chuck.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Treasure Hunter... I received your PM and responded... I hope you received the response... The diorama I just finished is 12"x16" but I can make you a smaller version with one ship per your inquiry. I provided you with my contact info in the PM response. And no, I don't mind you attaching it as a heading (sticky?) for the Shipwreck Forum... That would be cool.

Hey Chuck... No, put that decision on hold... Give me a call when you get the chance... Still got my number?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so excited... I just wanted to share this with those that are following this thread...

I had a meeting at the McLarty Treasure Museum today and they are seriously discussing commissioning me to make a large Diorama of the 1715 Fleet Disaster similar to this one for the museum! It would be an honor to have it displayed in such a great setting... If it does work out, I sure hope you guys will get in to see it if you have a chance and have an interest... It will probably be a few months down the road due to the Holidays...

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great news PF , an awesome result for some outstanding work , congrats .. cheers Mick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread