Any Interest in a Treasure Hunters Swap Meet?

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Any Interest in a Treasure Hunter's Swap Meet?

I was thinking last night how long a wait we have until we all get together again at the 6th Annual Treasure Hunter's Cookout. I also have a ton of used gear I would like to get out of our warehouse. Then I got to thinking, we have thousands of neat artifacts that don't really bring a lot of money in an auction setting, but would likely be interesting/valuable to other treasure hunters. So the thought hit me, how about a swap meet where during the winter months we can sell gear we no longer need, trade pottery sherds, bottles, spikes, coins and whatever else we all have laying around.

I don't have the resources to pull off something like Aquanut has been blessing us with, but I could probably get it set up with the Pennwood Motor Lodge, and everyone could just bring their own tables and set up whatever they want. Maybe someone could even set up a food stand and make some money grilling. Buy and sell whatever you want, with no fees and no grand expectations, just a flea market of treasures and related gear along with another opportunity to hang out and meet your fellow TNET'ers. What do you guys think?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I was thinking last night how long a wait we have until we all get together again at the 6th Annual Treasure Hunter's Cookout. I also have a ton of used gear I would like to get out of our warehouse. Then I got to thinking, we have thousands of neat artifacts that don't really bring a lot of money in an auction setting, but would likely be interesting/valuable to other treasure hunters. So the thought hit me, how about a swap meet where during the winter months we can sell gear we no longer need, trade pottery sherds, bottles, spikes, coins and whatever else we all have laying around.

I don't have the resources to pull off something like Aquanut has been blessing us with, but I could probably get it set up with the Pennwood Motor Lodge, and everyone could just bring their own tables and set up whatever they want. Maybe someone could even set up a food stand and make some money grilling. Buy and sell whatever you want, with no fees and no grand expectations, just a flea market of treasures and related gear along with another opportunity to hang out and meet your fellow TNET'ers. What do you guys think?

Jason I think that is a Great Idea. Thanks for bringing it up. Do you think I'd be able to get a boat or something for an ex-wife??? Only kidding she hates me and I don't think I could get her to come to FL.

Seriously though. I think that would be a great idea.

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ed,

Getting her to come to Florida is one thing, getting her to sit on a table with a price tag around her neck is another. However, if she is your ex-wife, then I guess she could be considered "treasure related equipment". :-) :-D

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, I was thinking of doing that as a part of the next cookout!!! john will not be running the next cookout, he tricked me.......er, I volunteered to do it. I will not be spending the money he did on food and plan on asking a few people for help and ideas!!!

having a swap meet before the cookout would be nice also! maybe you, me, jon , and dave could sit down then and discuss certain other matters!!!

chuck.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swapmeet sounds awesome...wouldn't mind a small get together on the west coast here for something. I've missed the last two cookouts because of work.

Getting together to talk sounds good too!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds nice but it's a long long way from here.

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I like the idea and I would like to see something here on the west coast too. Sitting down to talk would be a good thing too.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Great idea Jason! What are the chances of buying some of those encrustation blobs from 1715 Wreck Sites that the finders believe are encrusted coins but were afraid to break out?:tongue3:;D

Frank

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll suggest an idea that I can help with. I'm close friends with the owner of a lakeside facility just down the street from me which I have carte Blanche, to have any events I propose. I'm located in Central Florida, on a 5,500 acre lake with an old Florida atmosphere, big oaks, & cypress, covered with hanging Spanish Moss, Palm trees, and beautiful sunsets over the water.

Motels, restaurants, and shopping malls, and Walmarts (2) are only 10-14 miles away. A championship Golf course just 1 mile down the road. For those who might wish to plan a vacation around the event, All the major attractions, Disney, Universal Studios, Sea World, Wet & Wild, & Fantasy of Fight Air Museum are a 35-40 minute drive from here. Lego Land, Bok Tower, and Spook Hill are only 20 minutes away.

If you wish to bring your own boat or jet ski, for fishing or Skiing, or fun, there is one public and 2 private launch ramps on Lake Marion. We have a small ramp and a few slips to accommodate up to 22 foot boats at this location. (see Photos in URL link at the bottom) 2 other docks are provided free about a quarter mile from the facility if you prefer to wilderness camp on your boat and drive the short distance to the event. (there are mosquitoes at night). I've made an arrangement for boat trailers to be parked in a fenced lot just down the road. We have a couple of paddle boats available, a 20 foot pontoon boat (see photo) and a local that offers airboat rides. I suggest bringing Kayaks for a nostalgic, wilderness trip down Lake Marion creek.

The compound where the booths will be located is enclosed by a high fence and the gate is closed, but not locked at night. Inside the compound I can probably accommodate 7 RV's up to 30 foot, with concrete pad, sewer hookup & 115 volt electric, making it convenient to set up a booth next to your RV. I was thinking of charging a modest fee of $25 - $30 a night for an RV space.

I haven't measured yet but I think there is room for about 10 or 12, 10 X 10 booths with side parking for vehicles. (not Trucks) I was thinking $10 a day for this space would be affordable? You bring your own tables, and tarp, or canopy. I might be able to fit 2 more booths on the patio deck, under a canopy (right next to the band's loud speakers), and another 3 open spaces on the Patio deck. Regrettably, I have to charge for space to cover the rental cost of a couple port a potties, security if required, and other incidentals.

Kellyco, is close enough that they would probably set up a booth. There is a nice white sandy beach next to the water that is ideal for metal detector demonstrations.

Jason, there is an unfurnished house in the center of the compound that has an enclosed screen room large enough that you could probably display a couple thousand of your artifacts under cover.

Also, there are 3 or 4 primitive cabins, and possibly a couple of RV spaces just down the road at Bannons Fish Camp. Down at the corner of SR 544 there is a convenience store and another pub.

The pub here has both an inside bar and an outside bar on the Patio deck, and big screen TV. The beer is cheap and draft can be purchased by the pitcher. They do serve food, it's O.K., but it's not great. They have a big outdoor barbecue cooker which I might be able rent out to someone for the event, but it might be easier to let their personnel do the Barbecue, but prepared according to a recipe we select. Of hand, I'm thinking a generous plate of chicken, and or ribs, baked beans, creamy cold slaw, and hush puppies, for maybe $7 - $10 a plate? What do you think? There is a band playing on the weekends with about 30 to 50 people in attendance. Naturally, I would like to see the facility make a little bit, or even a lot of profit for their effort, but profit is not a determining factor.

How many people would attend a free Treasure show in a rural area, I cannot estimate? There is no precedent. Commercial advertising is prohibitively expensive. We would have to set up pre-event media articles and interviews about the Florida Treasure Salvors, plan to bring a Free Pirate & Shipwreck Treasure exhibit to this area. where the public can meet with real Treasure hunters, Researchers and Authors, learn about shipwrecks, and purchase a piece of history. I see no problem with the media getting a bit excited about this. Dell

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow Dell,

Sounds like you've already put forth a lot of thought and effort into this location, maybe Central Florida is the answer to allow both East and West coast hunters to attend more easily. It is difficult for me to get over to Sebastian also, but its always worth the effort when I can make it. I'm game for that idea if everyone else is, and I'd be game for starting a West Coast club of sorts to get together and meet some of the locals. I've been here over a year and really only know a few of the many hunters near Tampa. All I would need is a place for two or three 8 foot tables, I would likely buy as much as I sell but we do have large stocks of many different items, some common and some not so common, but all verifiable shipwreck material. I know a lot of people make crafts and display items from shipwreck / Native American stuff too, I think all would be welcome.

Chuck and Jon, if we could get Spencer to set up the Kellyco booth we would have our core together for a sit down which would be great. I've been traveling and working so much that I've had little time to do anything lately so something like this might renew our dedication. Thoughts on a date? Not sure we could get it all together before the holidays, and peoples time is limited then anyways, maybe late January early February, or would that be too cold? If it was loosely organized we could do it pretty quick too. I don't really have a preference but would like to hear others thoughts.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow Dell, Sounds like you've already put forth a lot of thought and effort into this location, maybe Central Florida is the answer to allow both East and West coast hunters to attend more easily. It is difficult for me to get over to Sebastian also, but its always worth the effort when I can make it. I'm game for that idea if everyone else is, and I'd be game for starting a West Coast club of sorts to get together and meet some of the locals. I've been here over a year and really only know a few of the many hunters near Tampa. All I would need is a place for two or three 8 foot tables, I would likely buy as much as I sell but we do have large stocks of many different items, some common and some not so common, but all verifiable shipwreck material. I know a lot of people make crafts and display items from shipwreck / Native American stuff too, I think all would be welcome. Chuck and Jon, if we could get Spencer to set up the Kellyco booth we would have our core together for a sit down which would be great. I've been traveling and working so much that I've had little time to do anything lately so something like this might renew our dedication. Thoughts on a date? Not sure we could get it all together before the holidays, and peoples time is limited then anyways, maybe late January early February, or would that be too cold? If it was loosely organized we could do it pretty quick too. I don't really have a preference but would like to hear others thoughts.

How about a pre season swap meet that could encompass boat and nautical stuff as well, this would get the blood pumping just before the water gets warm and calm enough to get out there and "do some searching"

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Dell,

Put me down for 1 RV space if this turns into a weekend event.

Ahoy,
G.I.B.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmmm...... jan or feb not too cold for me! im all in for having more than one event per year if it means we can get together more often!!!!!
maybe things will evolve into a spring get together(pre season) and a fall/winter get together(post season):occasion14:

Wow Dell,

Sounds like you've already put forth a lot of thought and effort into this location, maybe Central Florida is the answer to allow both East and West coast hunters to attend more easily. It is difficult for me to get over to Sebastian also, but its always worth the effort when I can make it. I'm game for that idea if everyone else is, and I'd be game for starting a West Coast club of sorts to get together and meet some of the locals. I've been here over a year and really only know a few of the many hunters near Tampa. All I would need is a place for two or three 8 foot tables, I would likely buy as much as I sell but we do have large stocks of many different items, some common and some not so common, but all verifiable shipwreck material. I know a lot of people make crafts and display items from shipwreck / Native American stuff too, I think all would be welcome.

Chuck and Jon, if we could get Spencer to set up the Kellyco booth we would have our core together for a sit down which would be great. I've been traveling and working so much that I've had little time to do anything lately so something like this might renew our dedication. Thoughts on a date? Not sure we could get it all together before the holidays, and peoples time is limited then anyways, maybe late January early February, or would that be too cold? If it was loosely organized we could do it pretty quick too. I don't really have a preference but would like to hear others thoughts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread