escudo update

jere

Greenie
May 29, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Escudo turned out to be a copy. After an overnight bath in vinegar i got suspicious when the crud came off most of it. took it to Fisher's in San Sebastian. the good people in the conservation shop checked it out and showed me several real ones. was not magnetic and too heavy for aluminum. color was wrong and real weight when held next to a real escudo.

man at sales desk said he had heard the Disney resort had seeded its' beach with repros for the kids to find a while back.

Lessen learned for this newbie. Chagy and other Sea Dogs sorry this didn't lead to something good.
Trez attached is a scanned image of the coin. like you i like to see photos for the truth and knowledge...plus it keeps the dream alive. hope the attachment comes through

Jere

Attachments

• escudo.jpg
    escudo.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 222
  • escudo.jpg
    escudo.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 223
  • escudo.jpg
    escudo.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 216

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: escudo update...Peg your stash has been found

Jere,

Bummer indeed...there are quite a few of those floating around.

Peg...another one shows up (the rarest of G escudos), someone found your stash.

Trez

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Good morning everyone-you to TREZ ;D
I find this very interestingf as most here do.
The GOLD coins that I recovered are SOLID 22K GOLD.
Does anyone think that DISNEY or anyone else for that matter would throw a bunch of REAL SOLID GOLD COINS for kids to find ;D ;D ;D. I do not think they are this stupid.
I have a question.
WHY WAS IT REQUIRED TO CLEAN THIS GOLD COIN IN ANYTHING?
Did you read that this was a COPY? This tells me that there WERE REAL GOLD COINS MINTED SOMEWHERE.
There is also something else I do not understand about this. GOLD is not magnetic. Gold coins cannot be judged by their color alone. I have NEVER seen two gold coins that were the same color.
I see some B.S. in this statement.
If the FISHER people went to this much trouble without assaying this coin right off the bat I wonded about who is doing what and why was this GOLD coin soaked in anything over night. Now I will admit that sometimes coral will attach itself to gold but this is not done overnight.
But if there is so many COPIES laying around they had to be COPIED from SOMETHING from somewhere.
PEG LEG

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I see your mistake, Peg Leg. You see the coin jere found is actually 24 carat gold, not 22 ct. Disney does not spare any expense for their guests! Also, If you take the lower left corner and magnify it 400 times you will see the word "copy" in the background.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread